Author Topic: when can i let chicks out  (Read 1961 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
when can i let chicks out
« on: October 31, 2006, 22:56:00 »
Hi. I found this site while browsing & liked what I saw. As well as registering I have done a poster with the web address for my local allotment shop. It seems to have gone down well.
My question is: I have 1 mother & 14 chicks i got for laying. They are 12 weeks old now. I let them out when i work at the allotment and lock em up when i leave. but when will they be old enough or what size do they have to be before I can let them out all day without fear of rats getting them? I have heard 5 months but this seems a lot?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: when can i let chicks out
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 20:03:26 »
12 weeks is more than ample time in my opinion mine are out from five or six weeks with no problems up to now  touch wood regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 20:09:05 »
wot type of hens are they ?
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 20:16:29 »
im nipping in to chat room now i just missed you before  ill see if your there

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:02:54 »
I let mine out from 1 week old in the summer with no probs.  I currently have 4 week olds out all the time and they are just fine.  THe biggest prob this time of year is crows stealing chicks - but again I would only be worried for 1-3 week olds. 12 weekolds should be fine out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal