Author Topic: Wasps / Bees nest in ground on lottie HELP!  (Read 1681 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Wasps / Bees nest in ground on lottie HELP!
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:02:20 »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone on the board will be able to give me some advice.  I got my lottie about six weeks ago and have just discovered a Wasp /Bee nest in the ground near my fruit trees.  My husband, me and our dog all got stung when DH put the one foot of the wheelbarrow on their hole. 

What can I do to get rid of them ? Is the Allotment / Council responsible for getting rid of them or am I?  Please help.  I know we wanted to be organic but this is ridiculous.

Kind regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Wasps / Bees nest in ground on lottie HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:12:53 »
Somehow or other I seem to have accidentally deleted what I wrote a moment ago. It's not honeybees as they're not ground nesters. There have been a few rports of wasp nests overwintering recently in the south, but basically they and bumblebees are both annual nesters, so it should be gone as soon as we get some cold weather; it really is very later for them still to be functioning at all. Meanwhile, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you; you've been there six weeks without noticing them, after all. If you really must kill them, pour a bucketful of soapy water down the hole.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:23:15 »
Hi
I live in the south and we had a wasps' nest in our loft this time last year.

The council said to leave it as the frost would kill them off in the next few weeks but they were still coming in the house in December, by then we had mice too, which they came and treated but still wouldn't see to the wasps as we would have to pay and they said it wasn't worth it.  Even though I react badly to stings.

They were right, they did die, and yours being outside might go quicker than ours.  It will just be a nuisance for you if it is in your way.

Good luck.

T.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 14:07:26 »
Got it; I posted on two different boards without realising!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal