Author Topic: Another try with the Raddicho Question  (Read 952 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Another try with the Raddicho Question
« on: October 27, 2006, 22:27:09 »
My raddicho is coming along nicely with some nice hearts forming but do you need to cover them to get the green to go white?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Another try with the Raddicho Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:40:43 »
I thought it was red... and it will change colour as the temps fall... normal chichory goes white and is best blanched by excluding the light with an upturned bucket...
 8)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:18:45 »
you'll have to say what variety the radicchio is, although using that name suggests the red/white or green/red varieties as opposed to chicory

some will change colour as the temps fall - the ball heads will go a wonderful dark red with white stripes and the more elongated varieties will stay green but develop lovely red streaks

the white chicons you get from whitloof - they need to be dug up and the roots replanted in total darkness and the chicons form from this

hope helpful, but the actual variety name would help as some stay completely green as well

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:01:38 »
Ahhh... shall watch this with interest.. have grown a small patch of the red leaved variety as a little experiment this autum... and now not quite sure what to do for the blanching/chicon production.

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 14:17:39 »
with the red leaved varieties there are 2 basic types - the ballheads (round and tightly leaved striking red/white leaves) - my favourite, such as rossa di verona, or the pointed leaf type which tends to be red/green, such as rossa di treviso or variegata di catelfranco - these are the red ones you can force if you want to but it isn't necessary but forcing makes for better colour

for forcing you need to dig up the whole plant, cut off the leafy stuff and replant the roots in pots of compost just below surface and place in the dark until the chicons sprout

fabulous winter salads imo

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 18:00:36 »
Palla rosso bella, however it's come up as at least two different types. Most are the round ones with a compact heart but some are pointed and one is pointed and crinkly, all are red and green. I wondered if you needed to do anything to make the green go white. Of course the inner leaves may be white rater than geen.

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 19:31:36 »
sounds like seeds have got mixed by the supplier, not uncommon I suppose

inside the palla rossa which is a ballhead type the inner leaves will get really red and white as the temperatures get colder, depends on how long you use it but if you peep deep inside you'll get an idea and probably best to harvest when a good size anyway

the other type shouldn't go white but should stay a really bright red and green - however if there is a bit of white on the stems then it might get much whiter - really depends on which variety this mystery 'extra' seed is

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 20:29:55 »
I harvested two with nice heads and inside they were white and red just one layer in so i can stop worrying about it. i just hope the fleece has kept the frost off. they were delicious and so much nicer than the little bit you get in a plastic bag in the supermarket.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal