Author Topic: Drought  (Read 1009 times)

keef

• Hectare
Drought
« on: October 27, 2006, 16:11:15 »
With all the rain you'd think that we be coming out of the drought. Well i just checked the old well in our garden - and its completely bone dry all the way to the bottom, about 7 - 8m ! Its the first time i've ever actually seen the bottom.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Drought
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 20:49:50 »
What's the water level normally? It's going to take a long time to recover properly, that's why I'm still welcoming all this rain we're getting.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 21:35:21 »
my god, you can have ours, we're going to have to dig a drainage ditch tomorrow, in the rain as we've got a 6" deep flood on our path and that was on monday, right next to the fruit cage, we've built them up but I'm getting worried

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:37:57 »
Are you next to a stream? Mine hasn't flooded, but only because I built the bank right up a few years ago.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 17:21:47 »
no, we're on solid clay, there are piccies somewhere of our plot, it was a swamp last year, have just got home, we dug three spades deep, 15' of a 28'length, put ash in the bottom, drainage pipe on it and covered it with more ash, ready for top soil then raised beds on top, it was threatening to flood our fruit trees and hazel bush so it had to be done, thank goodness it stayed dry today, will carry on tomorrow, both too stiff to move now, but feel okay about lolling around now :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:43:57 »
The stream on our allotment is still dry and it is normally running by October.  I think the problem is it has been dry for so long, the plants and trees have started to collonise it and the water isn't reaching us!  The spring is springing, just not in our direction!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 14:15:48 »
I wonder how much water some authorities have taken from underground sources this year? That can have a drastic effect on water tables, with small rivers almost disappearing in some areas.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal