Author Topic: Anyone Tried this???  (Read 2413 times)

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
Anyone Tried this???
« on: October 15, 2006, 20:42:37 »
Had an idea for watering my raised bed in the greenhouse and just wondered if anyone had tried it?

I have attached a piece of old hosepipe to the end of the greenhouse gutter and drilled a hole through one of the perspex panels of the greenhouse and run the pipe across the top of the bed at an angle, I have put some holes in it and it seems to work ok.

it seems a simple idea just wondered if anyone had tried it an if it was successful.

Simon.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Anyone Tried this???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 22:05:54 »
Not tried it myself, personally I would store the water and apply it when most needed. One plot holder had a piece of downpipe with holes drilled in the top, and an end stop, through his bean row, with a vertical end and just ran a hose pipe into it and it sprinkled the whole row!
 ;D

chappers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 22:35:50 »
No but did construct my polytunnel with the plastic buried into a ditch a spit deep and a couple wide, to catch the water that runs off.

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 20:20:06 »
I have a few winter lettuce in the greenhouse so wanted a system where i could leave them during the week and check on them a weekends / when i can get down in daylight don't finish work till 7 at night so struggle getting down in the daylight. had a look in tonight after the rain and it looks ok.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 21:56:14 »
I'm working on something, mainly for early summer mornings, that involves a container of water hoisted high enough to give a flow, a length of hose with appropriate holes and a ballcock from a cistern connected to one of my automatic vents. Don't know if that'll appeal to anybody with an engineering bent and a bit more time than I have.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:16 »
HI

Yes i have been giving some though to this, bad back dictates

One quick q sjg12 how do you stop over watering?

My plan fell into a couple of themes.

1) As my plot is on a downward slop i have 2 waterbuts attached to my shed and was going to leave one for filling with the watering can and one for connecting to some pipping. This was going to run around the entire plot in a circut. With diagonal pipes running across. From this i was going to feed 2pt containers which fed soaker or drip hoses. ( i though the 2pt container would allow me to add liquid feed at times and control the amount of water going to each bed as i could simply stop the water going into the container if nothing is planted)

2) My fruit is all going to be in one area ( excluding grape vines & Strawberrys ) and i was going to aquire some old camping waterbags and hang these from the fruit cage which would feed water when needed into the various plants. The water would be collected by some plastic sheeting over the top of the fruit cage to collect the water and fill the bags. I will overtime replace the plastic sheeting with lenths of perspex as i find it.

3) grape vines will be fed pipe with holes in thats will be fed from one of the diagonal pipes in (1) these are going to be wrapped around the inside of the tyre that the plants are going to be planted into so that the water goes directly to the roots.

Phew!

cambourne7

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:25:11 »
I seem to remember seeing a battery operated timer for hoses - could you fit one inline?

sjg12

• Quarter Acre
  • Sunny Morecambe????
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 21:38:52 »
Hi There

Sorry for the delay in replying have been on 12hr shifts.

I kept an eye on how much water was going into the water butt last year from the other side of the greenhouse roof and over winter it only just filled the butt 200l, also have kept the holes small so i only get a steady drip, the bed is 8ft x 2ft so don't think i will have a problem with flooding but no doubt time will tell.

If i do have a problem i can always divert some into a smaller butt?

guess this is one of my suck it see projets :D :D :D

Simon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal