Author Topic: cucumbers  (Read 1784 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
cucumbers
« on: April 15, 2004, 20:49:37 »
I have sowed some variaties of cucumbers today,but after sowing them i had to admit to myself that i dont know s..t about them.I sowed the following variaties: chinese snake cucumber,armenian cucumber,lemon cucumber,little white paris cucumber,whest indian gherkin,olivecucumber[cyclanthera pedato].I know they are not the common ones,but anyway who can help me with some information?

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 22:21:50 »
Haven't a clue, Ruud ------ but I'm looking forward to hearing how yours go!

Good luck, Gavin

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 06:20:18 »
Lemon cucumbers are grown as any outdoor cucumber. It is most important that they are picked when small, preferably when they are still yellow, as they are mostly seed cavity when they mature. I grew them once and found them bland tasting.
Armenian, a type of honeydew melon, can also be grown like any outdoor cucumber. I have seen locally grown ones frequently being sold here so it should grow for you. White Paris, if I remember correctly, is a 'pickling' cucumber. This is a misnomer as they are my, and others, preferred cucumber for fresh consumption. For fresh consumption harvest when small- no more than 20cm long. They stay firmer when pickled than regular cucumbers and can be pickled at any size. Chinese snake cucumbers will also stand cooler conditions, I have seen 'local' ones here (well, once, not a big market I think), but have no idea of their culture.
The other three are tropical types which I have no experience of but they seem to need a lot of heat!
 You have mentioned getting seeds from the U.S. in the past, so you might find these links useful:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/default.asp?UID=    and
http://www.rareseeds.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal