Author Topic: Anyone know about the Kosher diet?  (Read 1045 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Anyone know about the Kosher diet?
« on: October 24, 2006, 16:25:38 »
An interesting point was brought up today at work and no-one knew the reason why...

A lady said that she used to work for a Jewish family and she said that it is the Jewish way to not mix meat and dairy, but she never learnt the reason why.  All I can find on the internet is that it is to do with food being kosher, but no mention of any actual reason behind it!  Only wanted to know purely out of curiosity, and I can't find the answer!

Does anyone know?
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
Re: Anyone know about the Kosher diet?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 16:30:45 »
I was once told by a Jewish penfriend of my sister's that it was because it was wrong to eat the milk of the mother with the meat of the baby -(this was after we had served up spaghetti bolognaise and offered him parmesan cheese with it (in our ignorance.) This was about 30 years ago and my memory may have become addled with age so not sure if this is the correct reason but sounds plausible

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 16:34:20 »
Does this help - scroll down as necessary to meat and dairy ...

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
The impossible is just a journey away ...

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 16:54:05 »
Thanks guys!  How interesting....   I love learning about food in different cultures....
 ;)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 18:57:42 »
Having to be totally lactose free many prepared meats for the Polish/Jewish community have made it into the main stream supermarkets..
 ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 19:12:46 »
... this is a friendly and comprehensive guide too

http://www.kosher.org.uk/what.htm

I still remember puzzling out the catering for a Jewish vegetarian wedding where the groom was also allergic to eggs! ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 19:57:23 »
The rule the Rabbis used (or to be accurate, inherited from the Pharisees) was that you always err on the side of caution where the Law's concerned. So if the commandment forbids you to abuse the name of God, don't use it at all, so you don't run the risk of abusing it by mistake. If you're not supposed to boil a kid in its mother's milk, don't mix meat and dairy produce at all, so you avoid any possible risk of doing so.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal