Author Topic: Seed Composts  (Read 2535 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Seed Composts
« on: April 14, 2004, 18:20:24 »
When growing from seed what type of seed compost do you find produces the best results?

I ask because I am using a different type this year to last and have not had the high degree of sucess growing from seed as i had last year (quite frankly it has been a strugle this year in spite of doing nothing different)

Last year i used a John Innes based seed mix which as I say produced good results but did find it quite heavy and 'claggy'. This year i have tried a loam free 'multi purpose' type seed and cuttings compost (made by levingtons i think), which whil easy to pr*ck out from dries out quicker and is harder to rewet once it does.

As I say I have done nothing diffferent with the sowings and have sown later because of the cold weather early on in the spring. Yet results have been poor and i can only guess that the compost is a factor in this.

Can anyone offer any advice on this ?

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Seed Composts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 19:16:22 »
I use Premium Horticulture Ltd -pot bedding,good texture, not too strong for seedlings and gives a good `shelf life`. I`m not sure if it is seen in Garden? Centres though, I buy it by the pallet from a wholesaler.

Sorry just had a sidetrack thought-it is worth visiting nursery suppliers for all sorts of stuff-you might not get the full discount for `small` purchases but try it. Don`t think "oh I am only a gardener not a professional"-you are a customer -I`ll shut up now

Stephan

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 20:04:39 »
I'm using the Levington's multi purpose this year and although the top dries out very quickly it does stay very moist underneath, now I'm using a fine mist spayer on the top every two days.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 20:49:02 »
That may work for you but - a warning to others - just because the top looks moist, it doesn't speak for the bottom?
To my simple mind, if in doubt, soak it from the bottom. That's where the plant needs it?
A good way to check is to just feel the weight. The top bit doesn't matter. = Tim

« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 20:50:15 by tim »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 08:50:08 »

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 18:52:25 »
Richard
I have read some were that The Garden Which have done a trial , and I think I am right in saying that the best seed compost was Home base seed compost and for potting on B&Q Multi P.

I'm sure if you go to the Which web site it would give you more info.

Hope this helps

Alan

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 20:19:11 »
Is that not the one I just mentioned?? = Tim

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 21:55:41 »
Tim, thanks for the link, will have a look when I get the time.  ;)

I think the drying out is the problem here, the compost as someone said looked damp on the top but the seedlings were looking a bit sad to say the least (clearly dry compost below), a good soak and hey presto! they started to look much better.  Thing is with the compost I used last year i didnt  have this problem so didnt think to do it .

Maybe this compost is of as long as you remember to water or resoak the compost? This said should it really be nessesary to resoak the compost? Is not the compost at fault?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 11:23:46 »
Remember the bit about feeling the weight = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal