Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Banana Skins in Compost.

<< < (7/7)

cornykev:
I put them in now, just different things I'd heard, the  brassica roots I put on the bonfire quickest way to break down and spread the ashes on the soil.

Mrs Ava:
If yuo are worried about bunging your grapefruit skin halves onto the compost, then place them around the plants that sluggies most like....they congregate beneath letting you gather them up and dispose of them however you see fit.  Melon halves have a similar effect!  ;D

For me, if it was once growing, onto the heap it goes.  The only things that don't are 'perishables' like meat, dairy and (god forbid) processed foodstuffs.  Fish bones do go on the heap, but well mixed in with other stuff so they are buried.

cornykev:
 ;D  I heard some where that they put slugs in the compost is this true, EJ dont the fish bones attract unwanted furry things with long tails?

Mrs Ava:
Kev, I had the furry things without the fish keeping warm in my garden compost heap.  It is on the allotment heaps where I bung them, and there are plenty of furry things around, and ratus ratus has never been a problem...possibly because of the foxes and the neighbours greyhound that rome the site!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version