Author Topic: Broad Beans  (Read 1998 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Broad Beans
« on: October 21, 2006, 08:16:25 »
Last year I grew Aquadulace Claudia and sowed in a tray around this time and planted out. This year I have a few AC left and some Sutton to plant.

Are you all planting October/November direct or do you plant in seed trays?

How many plants do you all grow? I think i'll have to get some more seeds as I don't think i'll have enough.

Cheers :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:41:26 »
I tend to put in two packs of The Sutton, but as I have got some 25p packs from wyevale I will put in some more. Once you get past about 200 seeds direct sowing is probably the only way to go!
 ::)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 09:09:05 »
Saddad will you be planting now?

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 09:48:46 »
i sowed my broad beans last week (slightly earlier than i would normally) and sowed about 80 seeds of super aquadulce. i grew these last year and had a very good crop with easily enoughto feed a family of four.  i have always sown direct and found they germinate well.  i usually double up seeds at the end of rows to use in fill ins for any that fail.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 15:10:17 »
I sprout them in a wet teatowel for a couple of days first after a short soak, then sow direct :)

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 17:24:47 »
I've got a broad bean question too (hope it's ok to jump on your beanwagon Rosy).

I’ve got a bed which is in total shade during winter, and gets sun for half the day in spring/summer (runner beans have done ok there in the past).

If I start off some broad beans this month here, would they be ok in shade all winter if they get some sun from spring onwards? Space is limited so will have to rethink if this is a no-no.
You been goofin' with the bees?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 17:56:41 »
Will probably put the BBeans in next weekend Rosyred... Pye I wouldn't recommend the site in the shade... mine all failed last year as that bed is in the shade from the toilet block for most of the winter...
 :(

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 19:21:33 »
I will be sowing mine just as soon as the ground dries out a bit, we had the whole months rain fall in 10hrs here Thursday night!
The broadies I planted last year, did better in the sun, the ones that were shaded, by the shed and peas didn't do half as well

regards

Matt

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 20:08:39 »
i've sown my aquadulace in some pretty maids all in a row ring culture type affairs, as all my open ground is currently being used.

having now had one year's experience under my belt, you'd think i'd have got past the "if it works, it works" theory by now and actually plan a bit better.
[:D]
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 22:32:19 »
Been to the allotment today and prepared the bed ready for planting next weekend enough time to buy some more seeds. Thanks for the replies.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 08:44:12 »
Something I think I've learned at long last: don't put much good stuff into a broad bean bed.

I reckon that because they fix their own nitrogen, anything extra makes them too leafy and tall and not too good at flowering. Everyone probably knows this, but at least I know it now. I'm keeping them lean and mean this year. I've sown a packet and a half in a lasagna bed that has already been well used by tomatoes, squashes and corn.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 09:19:02 »
Too late for me done it now. Oh well wonder what cooked broad beans leaves are like haha

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 13:50:28 »
Sorry, Rosyred, didn't mean t o be depressing.  I'm cheerful because I went up to allotment andfound 4  broad beans germinating - hoping all the rest will be up soon. Dug for an hour in pouring rain but had to give up.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 22:47:40 »
How deep do you all plant your seed?   :-\
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 23:16:10 »
Forefinger depth !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 08:05:51 »
Shallower than that in my Heavy clay soil, if it is soft I push them in with my thumb, if not a shallow drill about 1 1/2"...
 8)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 08:29:33 »
Silty soil here, dibbed hole 3" or so, but I don't cover them - the weather and mulch will do that. Any shallower - especially for the tall winter ones - and they keel over in the Fullness of Time :o

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 09:23:31 »
OK ... so that means any old depth then ...  ::)  ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 18:38:18 »
Yep, the heavier the soil the shallower, the lighter the deeper. If they look
a bit too proud of the soil after germination just earth them up a bit!
 8)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 16:20:55 »
:)Put my b beans in two weeks ago and they have just grown to about an inch or so high. I put them about an inch into the soil, had problems with slugs when i planted dwarf beans so a sprinkle of slug pellets was called for just in case.   :o
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal