Author Topic: Clamping  (Read 1423 times)

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
Clamping
« on: November 01, 2006, 13:43:59 »
Just been reading about building a clamp to store root veg over the winter and it sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm curious how it actually works though. Aren't pests able to get in? ... mice dig through the earth and straw to get to all the hard grown crops etc?

If anyone has any pictures of a clamp (especially of the process of actually building one) I'd love to see them.

This is just a theoretical question as I've only just taken on my plot a few weeks ago but I'm optimistically planing ahead for the fantastic crops of root veg I'll be harvesting next year  ;D

Also, any particular dos and don'ts would be welcome, including what you can and can't store in a clamp.

BTW apologies if this question's been asked before; I have had a quick look at past posts but couldn't see anything - am on my lunch break and don't have as much time to search as I'd like.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Clamping
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 15:31:25 »
Making a clamp used to be a huge affair for my dad - straw base, mound of root veg, mound of straw, earth mounded over that, holes filled with straw to allow the stack to breathe.

What's the objective?
A few veg when you want them, kept away from meece and frost.
Something that's easy to dive into when you want your veg.

The clamp is where veg can snooze all winter, cool or cold, slightly moist and kept in the dark ;D
A few rules - don't let the veg touch, make sure there's a mouse-proof layer around the clamp (my dad built a moat round his clamp one year :-X), and aim for enough insulation to prevent frost penetrating.

Alternatives?

Trench clamp - for veg that stand well in the ground - a temporary holding place on the plot so you can harvest even in a hard frost. Ideal for leeks, parsnip, JAs etc. Dig a shallow trench, put the veg in, and cover them with loose soil so you can see the tops sticking out.

Straw bale clamp - holds lots of veg that don't stand well in the ground e.g. carrot, beet, spuds, but will also hold any root veg. Easy to get to the veg, and the cover makes sure that meeces don't get in. Traditionally sand is used for keeping, but I prefer slightly moist lighter stuff.

Flower pot clamp - holds same veg, depending on size of your flower pot. Keep in cold greenhouse to protect from frost. Portable. Sand is too heavy for me although it's traditional.

Really keen to see how other peeps do it! ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 15:37:14 by supersprout »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 17:13:23 »
I use the flower pot method but with big plastic buckets..
 8)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 17:47:22 »
tis the rebel in you dad ;) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal