Author Topic: Looking after Autumn Rasps  (Read 1741 times)

pierre

• Not So New ...
Looking after Autumn Rasps
« on: October 25, 2006, 16:11:46 »
Hi folks
I have been watching lots but this is my first post.
For the last 2 or 3 years my autumn rasps have been brilliant.They just keep going on producing beautiful fruit.Just collected a couple of marg tubs full before the rain really set in.
I am so pleased with them I am going to feed them this year.Can anyone tell me what and when to feed.
Pierre

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Looking after Autumn Rasps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 16:28:50 »
as far as I can remember, cut the down to the ground in spring and mulch them , hope that's right 'cos that's what we do

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 17:03:07 »
from the HDRA Encyclopaedia of Organic Gardening:
In late winter cut back all the canes to ground level and mulch with garden compost to cover the stubs and help them rot. In alternate springs, spread seaweed meal (125g per sq metre) and chicken pellets (follow manufacturer's instructions) to give the plants a boost.

I ought to know this by heart, seeing as my lot are Autumn Bliss, but I always have to look up the seaweed quantities!

Cutting back is done in late winter because autumn fruiters fruit on new wood. You don't want to leave it too late because otherwise you may set back spring growth.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 22:54:47 »
Cutting back early also avoids any damage from wind rock... if you can spare 2" of well rotted manure they will love you forever, or at least five years!
 8)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:50 »
I've inherited a row of autumn fruiting raspberries (unknown variety) on my new plot, they are fruiting quite nicely, no supports of any kind, they seem quite happy. Now I know what to do with them this winter, thanks! :)

There are also some pale new suckers spouting up from another area where the previous owners took some raspberry bushes with them; would these be summer fruiting varieties then? Presumably they would need support?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 11:42:53 »
I'll ask Maureen in tonights meeting Deb., she's related to your plot's previous owner...
 ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 18:11:54 »
2 years ago I pulled out all me autumn fruiting raspberries cos I thought they were taking up too much space.  Since when they have sprung up all over the place; in the paths, flower beds, in the lawn & I have had literally pounds off them.  Each year I have cut them all down & they have sprung up elsewhere.  I've also got lots of little green shoots still growing which if I leave will fruit next year but I shall cut them down too. 

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 08:16:39 »
If i put 2" of manure like Saddad says (here comes the thick question).....do i do this every year or just once every 5 years?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:19:40 »
If you're talking about a mulch, I just renew it when the weeds start flourishing again.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 10:26:46 »
Raspberries are hungrey plants so a load of muck etc in autumn will feed them. Mulch in spring it stops weeds but more benifit to keep the moisture in the ground. I have seen carpets,curtains even grass clippings used anything to keep the moisture in the ground.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 19:08:41 »
Whenever you can spare some....
 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal