Author Topic: Chestnuts?  (Read 5514 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Re: Chestnuts?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 19:40:00 »
Oh this is not a recipe, just a question from a moron!!!!

Are conkers the same as chestnuts????

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 20:03:00 »
No.  The fruit of the horse chestnut (conkers) are not edible as far as I know.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 20:44:40 »
Horse chestnuts are horribly bitter (well you try everything once :P) - thought I'd read somewhere about people recoursing to them when the alternative was to starve.

From Yahoo answers:

they contain high concentrations of a saponin-class toxin called Aesculin, which is toxic to many animals including humans because it causes hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells). The saponin can be eliminated by leaching the pulverized nuts in multiple changes of boiling water, to yield a wholesome starchy porridge once important to some Native American tribes. Some animals, notably deer and squirrels, are resistant to the toxins and can eat the nuts directly.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 11:32:10 »
Would be a problem had I not turned, given it's the main course three times a day.

I know what you mean ;D I'm originally from Japan and could eat rice three times a day. I so miss Japanese rice... I find long grain rice too dry for Japanese dishes. Of course I could buy Japanese rice from some shops/supermarkets but they are very expensive!
The Japanese are really fond of chestnuts. We have so many chestnut dishes and sweets. :P

adekun

• Not So New ...
    • adekun.com - growing vegetables in Japan, recipes and info
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 12:06:32 »
I found that buying 500g was more cost effective than trying to get 5/10/20 kg from a health shop. Still expensive at a £1 a go. No luck at Sainsbury's or Tesco's but Waitrose always kept a little Japanese corner - mostly the Yutaka range.

Off topic, but where where were you originally from Tora?

???

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 16:53:06 »
Supersprouts recipe looks wonderful, and I have a tin of bamboo shoots waiting for me to think of something to do with them! Thanks.

Valmarg, thanks for the idea - I'm sure someone else will pick it up. Husband is diabetic and I can't face making sweet things just for me.

I'm not so nervous of chestnuts now - they seem to blend deliciously into lots of things.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 16:54:43 »
Just in case anyone can't tell chestnuts apart, the edible ones always have a pointed end, and the horse chestnuts never do.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 10:32:05 »
I like adding chestnuts in curry dishes as well. Spicy sauce and sweet chestnuts is a very good match. :P

I found that buying 500g was more cost effective than trying to get 5/10/20 kg from a health shop. Still expensive at a £1 a go. No luck at Sainsbury's or Tesco's but Waitrose always kept a little Japanese corner - mostly the Yutaka range.

Off topic, but where where were you originally from Tora?

I'm from a small town called Tsuyama in Okayama prefecture. ;D

I had the yutaka sushi rice a few times. Like you say, it's not necessarily cheaper to buy in bulk so I buy a small packet now and then. :D Interesting thing I found is that pudding rice is a good substitute for Japanese rice. It's cheaper too. ;)

adekun

• Not So New ...
    • adekun.com - growing vegetables in Japan, recipes and info
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 12:23:37 »
Had chestnut rice with carrots for dinner.

I'm from a small town called Tsuyama in Okayama prefecture. ;D

bikkurishita :o Yonago, Tottori. I have a friend who lives on a dairy farm in Tsuyama. Hope to visit Mount Daisen soon, leaves turning brown...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 23:55:48 by adekun »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 17:48:51 »
I'm another for just barbequed and peeled whilst hot with salt.  YUM.  Takes me back to my working days nipping to Regent Street to buy a little bag of hot cindery chestnuts and taking them back to the office to eat.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 07:17:44 »
hey artichoke, you said you liked chestnuts in soup, I just came across this if you're interested. I've not tried it - but it looks dead easy and no reason it shouldn't be delicious?

Amy Goldman's Pumpkin Chestnut Soup
'The Compleat Squash'

Chestnuts add flavour and structure if the squash is too watery. You can make it and squirrel away in the freezer. If freezing, don't add the cream. Wait until after thawing the soup and reheating, then add.

2 chopped onions
4 tbs butter
8 cups chicken or veggie stock
4 lb pumpkin or squash, roasted and cubed
6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb whole peeled chestnuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional: 1/2 cup or more double cream

Saute onions in butter until translucent, about 5 minutes, in the soup pan. Add stock, squash, potatoes, chestnuts, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the veg are tender, about 45 mins.

Sprout whisper: (If you use a pressure cooker, bring the soup to H pressure for 7-10 minutes, then reduce pressure rapidly)

Puree until smooth, adding extra stock if needed, taste, season with salt and pepper and add cream just before serving.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 12:28:14 »
Thanks, ss, this looks like something I could make in advance for Bonfire Night when the whole street comes in for something warm.  Being in East Sussex, our Bonfire Night is 18th Nov, so I'd better rush through the frost to see if there are any chestnuts left. Brought the squashes and pumpkinsin yesterday afternoon because of frost warnings....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal