Produce > Wildlife forum

Foxes

(1/5) > >>

teresa:
Last night taking the dogs for a walk, there was a young fox running across the road and back again like a game watched for a while then he disapeared up a foot path.
I live in a village on the edge of a town I knew there was urban foxes around but havent seen one in the two years of being here. Wonderfull sight but to all that have cats please dont leave them out at night a fox will have them have been warning my neighbroughs.
Teresa

Margaret:
Hi Teresa.Have you actual evidence of a fox attacking a cat? From what i have heard,more than once,it would be extremely rare and out of character for a fox to do this.In fact it is believed that foxes are more likely to be frightened of a cat because a tom cat defending it's territory can be quite vicious!

In any case,the census of opinion now is that cats should not be allowed to roam after dusk and early in the morning because that is when they will decimate the birds and the small mammals.

Simon King and Bill Oddie were the people who said the above,by the way!!

Cheers.Will reply to your message shortly.Are you O.K. now?

Ragged Robin:
     We live in SE London and urban foxes are a permanent fixture in our garden. The current visitor is a locally reared male who is very handsome specimen indeed. Littl'un and I watched him eat either a pigeon or squirrel (something grey!) one evening in a neighbours garden during the summer. Doesn't seem to bother our cats and they don't bother him, often see them pass on the garden path, both parties ignoring the other.
The only time we've had problems was when an elderly, very poorly vixen, frequented the area ; fox diarrhoea is most unpleasant.

Love the early summer when the cubs use the garden as a playground, the adults are often seen playing too, we have learnt not to leave toys outside, they're rather partial to skipping ropes!They have even been known to visit the bin in the kitchen!.

By the way, our cats are far too elderly to worry wildlife and have access to outside all the time, they even bring their friends home for a snack.

On the other hand my mother-in-laws cat has suffered a fox attack, she lives a bit further out, and it's becoming a problem in her area.

teresa:
The fox is a beautiful animal and with its winter coat on looks beautiful. To see a vixen playing with her cubs is a rare site to see we have to remember these are wild animals teaching the young to kill and this is normal. A fox will hunt for mice rabbits birds sitting on nests like phesents. But they are moving in to towns hence urban foxes going through rubbish bins scaverging. But a cat can be easy pickings for a fox who is hungrey perhaps a young one or a old one which cannot run. They only kill when hungrey so one learns to respect wildlife after all these are wild beautiful animals.
A dog fox when urinated stinks  ???but what a vixen with the runs is like :o I dread to think.
Teresa

Hyacinth:
When they play, it's not just childrens' toys they nick - I lost one of a pair of gardening shoes I left outside the shed - a neighbour found it a couple of years later in his compost. Pity that I'd thrown the first one away by that time...

About 4-5 years ago we had a lovely young dog-fox visit the garden - then, over a time, his coat started to become staring...and then he got bald patches..then it got worse and worse...he'd got mange. The RSPCA refused to help and we finally found a Fox Rescue place which came out with a trap. The fox, of course, was much too canny to go inside, but my neighbour's silly cats were regularly to be found sitting inside it, scoffing the food & making themselves at home. So the Fox people took the trap away & gave us a bottle of some homeopathic liquid - 4 drops on a jam sandwich, twice a day...imagine, if you will, my neighbour scurrying up the garden in the pouring rain with a jam sandwich, neatly cut into triangles, with the crusts cut off, on a pretty china plate..

The fox, I should think, died. Did you know, tho, that urban foxes only live 2-3 years, so we were told? - Lishka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version