Author Topic: Simple question?.. :)  (Read 1404 times)

heyem

Simple question?.. :)
« on: October 17, 2006, 14:42:07 »
Hello! I'm a bit new to the site and to keeping an allotment altogether but was hoping for a little help as I find my way around.

I would like to start renting an allotment in my local area and was wondering what the first port of call was? What sort of steps would I need to take from there?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Heyem
@->--

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Simple question?.. :)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 14:44:19 »
Hi heyem,

and welcome.

where in the world are you.

cambourne7

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 14:50:03 »
Hi, this is how I did it...

First contact your council to find out what's available, where the sites are, how long the waiting lists are. If anything is available go and visit the sites - the other plot-holders will be able to tell you more about the site and any pros and cons of any plots that are vacant. Then sign the tenancy agreement, get the keys and start digging!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

heyem

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 14:52:58 »
Hi Cambourne - we're in the West of England near Bristol.

Hi RobkB - that's really helpful- nice one! I checked out the local council and they said there are currently waiting lists on all sites :( Are they usually long?  :-\

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 15:02:06 »
Hi RobkB - that's really helpful- nice one! I checked out the local council and they said there are currently waiting lists on all sites :( Are they usually long?  :-\

How long is a piece of string?! When I got my lottie a year ago we had maybe 50% of plots vacant at my site - now they're all let and there's a small waiting list. Other parts of London (round Hampstead way, apparently) have a 10 year waiting list! I think in most places there's a fairly regular turnover - some people find they've bitten off more than they can chew and leave, some people find other commitments don't allow them enough time for the lottie - but really it depends on how long the waiting lists are; if there's only a few people in front of you it might be quite quick, but if there are dozens... well, be patient. Or ask the neighbouring council if they have any vacancies - it might be a longer journey, but if you have transport it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

heyem

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 15:10:26 »
Here's hoping it's not too long!

Happy gardening! :D

Heyem
@->--

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 20:04:07 »
I did a lot of googling to get started with my second plot. Patience threw up a rather neglected site with lots of space and no waiting list and council numbers and emails for contact. I love it there. (East Sussex).

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 19:26:37 »
.... I checked out the local council and they said there are currently waiting lists on all sites :( Are they usually long?  :-\

What I suggest you do is to select a couple of convenient sites and wander round on a sunny Saturday and strike up a few conversations.  If you're keen, people will often let you know about plots that are becoming vacant, or those that are a bit neglected and whose owners may be losing interest.

Then badger the council (nicely, of course) to let you have one of those plots.  If you keep up the pressure, the queue will magically shorten.  If you just put your name down and wait, you might wait for years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal