Author Topic: Chutney overload!  (Read 2046 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Chutney overload!
« on: October 11, 2006, 17:36:37 »
Phewie, spent the last hour chopping!  1 kg courgettes/marrow, 1 kg green toms (all the blighty ones are nicely used), 500g cooking apples (windfalls used), 500g onions (the last of my stored hunions  :'(), handful of fresh chillis, vinegar, sugar, spices and voila, River Cottage chuts is now left to simmer for 3 hours!  This chuts is a great way to use up all those courgettes that have gotten to big - or if you are just sick of them, plus the iffy toms and those windfalls!  My fridge is at last begining to breath a sigh of relief from veggie compaction!  ;D

muddy boots

• Half Acre
Re: Chutney overload!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 18:55:18 »
Better sit down and have a little libation, EJ, before you start thinking about all the things you are going to cook to Accompany all those delicious chutters!   ;D ;D :o

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 18:56:57 »
Mind-boggling!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 19:52:27 »
How big is your jam cupboard EJ?  :o ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 20:07:52 »
I suspect that HE builds HER shelves on demand??

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 22:08:24 »
Still going on the chutney-making front (the whole house smells like a pickling factory!) -- I lugged the last of the toms home from the lottie on Monday ... all 45lb of them!!... and have now run out of jars (as have both my neighbours -- can't think why! ;D)

Short of going down the road ferreting through everyone's recycling boxes (and I know another plotholder who did that the other day!) I've had to alter production methods and am now chopping the toms, deciding which recipes to do next and then cooking them with the appropriate vinegar till they've reduced a bit, before bagging and freezing them for finishing as winter goes on.

OH thought I was mad until I reminded him of what he said last year when he realised I'd given away almost all the chutney I'd made to our church Christmas fair!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 22:40:29 »
Oooo triffid, I have a peek in my customers recycling bottle bin.  One lot have quite fancy jars!  A quick whizz in the dishwasher and they are as good as new!

Sarah, I filled the larder, and a cupboard, and I have them on the floor by the fridge which is far from ideal, so at the weekend, HE is going to sort me out some shelves in the garage where they can be kept cool and dark, and hopefully, in some sort of order.  I need to reclaim my kitchen cupboards back as I have long since run out of store room!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 22:43:13 »
 ;D posh jars!

Yes, suddenly realised how much my neighbour's been spending on Waitrose goodies (artichokes in olive oil etc) in sweet little jars. And like you said, God bless the dishwasher!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 23:11:12 »
those Sacla toms in oil jars and their lids are great, the dimple still works after a wash ::)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 23:25:25 »
ive stunk the kitchen out making chutney just about used up all my green /red tomatoes,even though still a few green tomatoes left in pollytunnel. OH is going mad, says he cant stand the smell!o well,i better start on something else,maybe xmas pud, even though i havent done pickled onions yet!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:01:02 »
lol@stunk paulina ;D
still a good month for pickling onions before 'stir-up Sunday' in mid-November when puds are made at sprouty acres ;)

The last Sunday of the Church Year, or the Sunday before Advent - from the opening words of the collect for the day in the Book of Common Prayer of 1549:
Stir-up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:27:56 by supersprout »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal