Author Topic: This word "Organic"  (Read 1317 times)

pompeydude

• Not So New ...
This word "Organic"
« on: October 14, 2006, 21:53:48 »
I’ve always tried to garden "Organically", whether it's flowers 'n' shrubs or in the vegetable garden.
And have always tried to source, soil association, or HDRA approved products.  But lately i have been using New Horizon peat free Organic compost, and also an Organic well rotted stable manure, both of which have neither approval.
I’ve had a bad white fly problem on my cabbages, so while purchasing my well rotted manure i bought myself some Vitax "Organic" 2 in 1 insecticide. 
My question is,  how can i be sure that I’m actually buying products that adhere to my organic principles?? What guarantees can i have that they are what they say they are.  Or is the word Organic just a generic term for something else????
I hope that makes sense!!!
 ;D ??? ??? ??? 
yer !! but this goes up to eleven

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: This word "Organic"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 22:07:36 »
my 2 cents worth would be - check the lable on the Vitax, so called organic insecticide and if it makes you squirm then don't use it.

For me the word 'insecticide' says it all, same as homicide, you are probably killing something unnecessarily instead of diverting it elsewhere

the essence of being organic is to live in some kind of harmony with nature  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 22:11:12 »
It rather depends on what your 'organic principles' are.  Mine are set out in the recent thread in the Wildlife forum, see this link:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,24966.0

I'm in agreement with Calendula.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 22:31:37 »
Part of the problem surrounding the word 'organic' from a plant-grower's point of view is that it now has two very different uses.

To most people now, it means something like 'food grown without chemicals'. See the Soil Association's website (www.soilassociation.org) for lots more info.

But in the Old Days, 'organic' wasn't a stamp of approval but simply a term meaning fertiliser made of organic content (eg anything from seaweed to peat). Inorganic fertilisers are mineral fertilisers (limestone, rock phosphate; stuff like that). You can imagine the confusion that arises today in the minds of customers buying bags of compost!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 07:35:35 »
My aim is to Save the Children, Save Time & Save Money.

I'll leave Saving the Soil to those who follow us. It's done us proud for 45 years & shows no sign of giving up.

Managed this year with only Bordeaux on the Potatoes.

As to Peat or not - I still find Peat best, so I use Moorland Gold with a clear conscience.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:05:44 »
At a course yesterday at Barnsdale Gardens, it was put like this, "Being Organic is a bit like Being Vegetarian" in other words there are as many degrees and opinions as to being organic as there are to being a vegetarian!
Examples being:
The matting used around the base of brassicas - what is it? is it organic?
The wood used to make raised beds - how is it treated etc.?

In my own opinion, it's a mine field, I just try to be as organic as I possibly can, for the future and the environment
Kathi :-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal