Author Topic: what are you growing for first time?  (Read 4885 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:what are you growing for first time?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 14:06:53 »
Since we've had an allotment for quite a few years we've sort of settled on things we know we like and will use - which covers a lot.

But after reading the section on sweetcorn I'm going to give that a try.  No one has managed it successfully on our site so I'm not too hoeful - but think if I did manage to get them to grow!!!

Also trying aquilegia for the first time (fingers crossed again) and have bought a miniature orange tree (for the house/balcony really).

Just for the record planted asparagus last week (April 15) but as they are jsut 1 year plugs I guess I'll need to wait about 4 years to see if they are a success
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 20:47:11 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 18:09:57 »
Carrots?

Well, for the umpteenth time really, but hopefully, for the first time SUCCESSFULLY!  ;D ;D ;D

All best, Gavin

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004, 12:50:46 »
Japanese burdock, chickpeas (my dad grew those) - for popcorn, funny shaped squash things, amaranths for grain (akin to love lies bleeding), kales, later in year, winter radish.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wolflike

• Not So New ...
  • My cat hiding
    • Wolflike
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2004, 17:27:26 »
Having a go at
Peppers
Broad beans
French beans
Radishes
Parsnips
Potatoes
Carrots
Brocolli
Sprouts

And loads of flowers and plants too.

Please let them grow! ::)
The best thing about growing your own is knowing that somebody didn't get chain ganged into picking it!

Blogging away at www.wolflike.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2004, 19:24:09 »
Richard - after tasting your own sprouting broccoli, you'll never bother with asparagus again. But, as with that, choose a good farm butter!! = Tim (Oh God, the size again! And the focus?)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 11:38:22 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004, 19:35:45 »
Going to try squash/sweet melons for the first time ever. Looking at the list above I see I'm not a very 'flowery' person. Must correct that, but I'm a fanatic for sweet-peas, marigolds and sun flowers. Pretty average lottie flowers, must change my ways!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2004, 23:45:18 »
red sprouts
green sprouts
pumpkin

will try garlic later in the year, also rasp's which i planted today.   There's a wild corner at my allotments with self sown rasp canes so today I rehomed approx 35 canes on my lottie.   Now I can wait for them to fruit.
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal