Author Topic: penstemons  (Read 1354 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
penstemons
« on: October 15, 2006, 12:58:23 »
Hi, I got some penstemon seeds free, I've (of course) lost the packet, do I cut them back for winter, I know they're perennials, just need some guidance how to look after them

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: penstemons
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 13:48:11 »
I've founf they are pretty hardy (I'm in Yorkshire) but read somewhere recently that they can use a bit of protection. I cut mine down whenh they get straggly. You could take some cuttings now to be on the safe side- they are easy.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 13:51:49 »
thanks, will do, they are quite a mess now so I'll try to root some of the bits I take off

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:54:28 »
Hi,
I'm a bit further south then you in North Cheshire but I have never cut my penstemons back until late spring when the new growth starts to show and haven't lost any yet.  They do look a bit untidy, but then again no worse then the rest of the garden!  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 14:05:51 »
The general consensus on another site seems to be that you should treat them like roses. Cut back by about half any straggly growths as they finish flowering, then cut right back in spring. Sadly even with this treatment they do not survive outside here, so we tend to overwinter the decent ones as cuttings.
Gardening is the great leveller.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 17:34:16 »
well I've cut three back and left the others, and tried some a cuttings so I think I've covered all the bases

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal