Author Topic: Mice in compost heap  (Read 1738 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Mice in compost heap
« on: April 13, 2004, 09:54:07 »
We shifted the compost heap at the weekend (all beautifully rotted down) but found two mice in it. Well at least saw two mice scarper at lightning speed out of it. And another dead one (yuck).

Does it matter? Will they do any harm?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Mice in compost heap
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:37:28 »
I am sure they have oodles of germs and lurgees, but I kinda figure they are all part of the breaking down scheme, and lets face it, they are everywhere anyway, them and their big brothers....rats.....it is just we don't often see them.  We had a rat in our compost heap last year, but the compost was still good, and I used it, but I wore gloves, and after a couple of downpours of rain I figured all the germs were washed away. I say use it and worry not, just make sure you wear gloves when handling it and wash your hands after.

Now in comes a chemist to tell me I have polluted my ground and caused alsorts of problems.  :-\.........and I still haven't had my tetnus jab!  :o

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:26:59 »
Well if it works for you, EJ, it's fine by me!

We thoroughly washed hands afterwards (especially after emptying some of the newer bags of composting stuff - really slimey and eggy sticky. gross!)

Tetanus. Um - yes well. naughty Aqui must get it done soon.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 12:43:42 »
Live and let live,it`s a joy to watch a mouse nibbling away at the various seeds and stuff in the heap.

Stephan.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 13:03:31 »
Good, I'm glad. I hate killing things (even slugs) and I really couldn't bring myself to harm the little fuzzy ones. I'm a soppy cow, I know!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal