Produce > Wildlife forum

Birds in the garden

(1/5) > >>

Garden Manager:
My garden is fast becoming a mecca for local avian wildlife, both regular and occasional.

My predominantly organic gardening policy means that there has always been birds in residence in or near the garden, but recently we have set up a couple of feeders which are refilled regularly, which seems to have attracted even more to the garden.

Regular visitors include a pair of blackbirds, robins, house sparrows, starlings, wood pigeons and (less welcome) magpies. The last two species have set up home in nearby pine trees.

Since putting the feeders up the numbers of sparrows and starlings in particular have increased.  We have recently had a wren start visiting the garden regularly.

Sightings of less common species have also been made of late.  I have beenn told (but not seen personaly) of a visit by Bluet*ts back in the summer, also birds believed to Yellowhammers (or perhaps Greenfinches) also made a fleeting visit to one of the feeders.  

Rarest of all was a visit by a bird i could not identify, and had never seen before, which spent some time on our lawn before disapearing never to be sighted again. Not sure but either a Lark, a Bunting a Warbler  or Fieldfare - couldnt match it  exactly ot ant of these - could be somethingcompletely different for all i know!

Only this morning i was looking out if the window to see a couple of (what turned out to be) Great t*ts feeding of insects sheltering inside a fence (or so it appeared).

Wonderfull!! :D :D

PS. Sorry if my Bird ident. is a bit vague at times. :-/ :-/

Muddy_Boots:
Heron here today!  Other strange one I saw was an egret wading in stream when I was holidaying in Devon one Christmas.  Green woodpeckers here too!  Large village near Canterbury so, like foxes, birds get more urban every day!

Ragged Robin:
Here in suburbia (SE London), regular visitors include; Jays, Magpies, blackbirds, great and blue t*ts, wood pigoens, crows, robins and wren; recent newcomers inlude spotted woodpecker (not sure whether great or lesser), thrush and green woodpecker; sparrows are not particular frequent visitors; but we do get twice daily visitss from 40-50 starlings, a heron drops by occasionally and we had a visit from a pair of paraquets a couple of weeks ago; ...........not bad for a townie, eh!!!

We also have a dog fox who visits daily and a strong squirrel contingent who binge on and dig up garden plants (little darlings). Several frogs inhabit the (very small) pond and garden.

P.S. Muddy, i too have seen egrets wading in Devon, rather beautiful aren't they?

Most frightening bird experience was being mobbed by Great Skuas after walking into their breeding ground on Orkney - scarier than Hitchcock!

Tenuse:
We're having a fantastic time watching the birds visit our garden this winter. Our house is a Victorian terrace in the middle of Sheffield and the back garden is a teeny-tiny 5m x 6m (this is why I got an allotment!!). However we have put out feeders and we have a baby pond, and this year have really seen the benefits, the visitors we've logged so far include:
a robin
3 bluetits
2 greattits
2 blackbirds (Mr & Mrs)
2 dunnocks
a wood pigeon, who looks as big as the garden when he visits
a magpie
one or possibly two coal tits.

Nothing terribly uncommon but it's fabulous to watch them. Especially Mr Robin trying to be a bluetit and feed at the hanging feeder when we forgot to put out his dinner one day!

Ten x

Mrs Ava:
I love the birds that flock to our patch.  We have t*ts of all varieties, robins, wrens, thrushes, blackbirds, sparrows, rooks, magpies, pigeons and a wonderful visit by a woodpecker, altho no idea what type.  The most suprising flying guest was by a Kestrel.  We were gardening and it whipped into our garden, took a thrush, and whipped over into next doors garden where it had lunch!  We also have foxes that wander by and frogs by the bucket load!  A squirrel which annoys our neighbour, he has carpet rod on his trellis to stop it, but the squirrel doesn't care!  We have had occassional rats - yuck, and mice and of course hodgehegs.  Ain't muvva nature grand like!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version