Author Topic: Lottery 11 million or 54 million  (Read 5538 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Lottery 11 million or 54 million
« on: October 11, 2006, 18:41:51 »
HI

Given there is some big money on offer i wonder what people would do?

Would you tell anyone?

cambourne7

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Lottery 11 million or 54 million
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 18:44:17 »
Retire, get a nice house with a whopping great garden, invest enough to live comfortably, and use the rest to start my own charity, for grassroots projects and schools in Sierra Leone.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 19:00:34 »
nice !

Where would the house be?

Would you keep the lotty?

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 19:03:01 »
move to the usa to be by my sister and buy us both a house next door to each other and live happley ever after :)
were my heart is down at the plot

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 20:16:48 »
As I don't even buy a ticket this is very fanciful....
I would buy or have built a proper walled garden... with a huge glasshouse on the south facing wall.... think NT houses.... and pay a couple of helpers, even I couldn't work a full one!!!
 8)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 20:28:41 »
if your not in it you will not win it!

I have a box at my desk, if i want to buy chocolate i put the money in it and at the end of the month i buy some tickets instead.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 20:55:52 »
I very rarely buy a ticket, only when pure greed gets the better of me.  This week in work we've started a syndicate to increase our chances and to walk out all at once should we win.

If I won, I would buy out the upstairs flat so I could use the whole of the back garden and could let my daughter have the upstairs when she walks out on the unsuitable other half (my thoughts not hers).

and it would depend how much whether i would tell or not ! 

;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 23:36:36 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 21:54:51 »
hmm, I'd like to get a boat and sail around the world, but then what would happen to my lottie ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 22:36:15 »
Would I spill the beans...it is impossible to say until you are in that situation.  However, in my wildest fantasies I would buy a lovely big house with a good few acres so we could start our little smallholding, but it would need to be close to the sea, in North Devon of course so I can have my Hockings Icecream daily!  I would invest carefully so the children would never have to worry financially.  I would want to give mum money....but she would never move, and she loves her job, so I would give her some to 'play' with.  I would also make sure my sis and her boys had some.  I would donate a wedge to St Thomas's hossy in London where dad died,  Cardiac care and our local hospice, Farleigh.  Cor, I could go on and on as I imagine we all could......would be lovely huh!  My dad started a syndicate at work when the lotto first started.  There are 11 of us in it and you won't believe it, finally, after all these years we are going to get a payout!  £100 each will empty the account!  PAH!!  Mum is treasurer and she isn't going to give me and my sis the cash, she is going to buy us £100 premium bonds each - probably a wiser investment than doing the lottery!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 22:36:31 »
it would be on the top deck !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 23:26:06 »
With regards winning the lottery I can speak from experience and say it isn't all its cracked up to be.My family member didnt win millions but won a life changing amount.I have benefited from it and so have other members of my family but some didnt get as much as they wanted and its caused abit of trouble.
We didnt and still haven't told anyone outside the immediate family although I know afew people know about it.Its been said in conversation that the person that won it wished they never had!!!
I can't agree as its changed our lives.I even went to camelots offices with the winner to pick up the cheque and cashed it that day.The look on the counter clerks face when we opened a new account was priceless and we soon had all the staff running round like lap dogs!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 23:29:11 by silly billy »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 23:54:43 »
I don't stand a cat in hells chance of winning it as I don't do it, :P I used to when they first launched it as I used to get quite a few £10 wins with just a couple of quid investment per week, but then like all fruit machines they tweak em when they get the interest and the tenners start to disappear ::) wonder why that was :-\ ;D

So I reverted back to putting my spare cash back into Ernie (Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment) better known as "Premium Bonds" moneys safe, no interest but you don't lose your stake money. 8)

I have not got rich on it (Yet) but have had a good return on my investment, probably matching some of the high street banks offers, so my £2 per week that was poured into the lottery is saved and put into Premium Bonds every Christmas 8)

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 10:09:14 »
I did it the first week, and won a tenner, did it the second and won £100 ... and I haven't done it since. 

I figured that was likely to be my lot ... so quit whilst I was ahead.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 10:56:58 »
I'd set up a charitable trust and give money to local charities and groups working to improve the lot of people with problems.

Silly me, wasn't that what the lottery was supposed to be about any way.

( would also by modest house with HUGE garden & loads of space for OH's engine collection - tell no one and live normally)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 12:07:01 »
Hi

Not that i won last night ( or even believe i will win ) But i would tell people i had won but not the amount.

If i won more than a million i would tell people i only won a million and hid the rest in a swiss bank account. Money changes people and i want to know i have a nest egg.

With the money left i would pay off the house, redecorate etc.

I would pay off debts from myself and family and rip there CCs up.

I would give them all a little bit of money and put some more in long term savings accounts so they could not touch it.

I would pay someone to come into the allotment and build a 2 story shed ) half burried underground as a winter veg store. And put a greenhouse in.

I would set up a savings account, where the intrest would top up my husbands and my private pension to the max allowed by the government.

I would take the whole family to NZ for a month!

And i would happily walk out of my job!

Cambourne7

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 13:41:19 »
A house with big rooms, my bungalow is small. Would have to have some land. ( I can here the eldest daughter asking if she can put their horse there!!). Then after taking advice would help my children and grandchildren. I have always said that I wouldn't just give a large sum of money to a charity (cancer near to my heart) but would go to Addenbrookes Hospital and ask what piece of machinery/equipment I could buy.
In the meantime I am happy with my life so a little dreaming is O.K.
Lorna.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 17:04:32 »
I want a smallholding - one that I could keep a few livestock, as well as grow veg to my heart's content.

Donations - there would be some to selected charities. I found out an internet friend has cancer (somewhere in the bowel) and has recently had two emergency operations  :'(
I don't agree with the charities that send out massses and massses of begging adverts. My mum received one which enclosed a small sum of money (21p?).

Ernie was nice to me - £500 which I think I used for Open University course fees.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 17:36:20 »
After looking after family and friends, we'd bugger off!  ;D

A house in south-west France with around 5 acres of land (1 dedicated to fruit and veg); a house somewhere in the Canadian Rockies (spend all winter skiing) and a small place in the Maldives to go and rot in when we get fed up with counting how much we've got left!

So, obviously, it wouldn't change us one jot  ;)
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 22:07:54 »
unsurprisingly our syndicate won sod all and we're all going back for a second bite of the cherry.

i'll almost be grateful when some other person wins it, so we can stop it again.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 22:50:36 »
Eric, we have been doing the lottery for the last 3yrs and we have not won a bean.
So i think your theory could be well on target, we used to win a tenner on a regular basis but not anymore Mmmmmm!!.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal