Author Topic: Feeding the Birds in Autumn  (Read 6757 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Feeding the Birds in Autumn
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 15:47:40 »
I know it's a bit of a cliche ... but I think the unusually warm weather (and Global Warming) has a lot to do with the lack of birds on the feeding tables  :(

It's December and there are still flies, caterpillars and other 'stuff' that should (by rights) be gone by now. No wonder the birds aren't taking advantage of our feeding tables ... they have no need!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 18:56:02 »
Just popping back to say ... no! Global warming isn't a bit of a cliche... it's very real.

As you were!  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 20:03:45 »
makes sense really. if its stayed mild, then there will still be plenty of natural food around. I have worried a bit that my food is still not being eaten.

That said the collared doves and magpies have ben enjoying the food put out on the bird table, along with the blackies who have been busy tucking into pyracantha berries.

I guess as soon as it turns cold then they will be back on the feeders.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 16:43:28 »
I was in the shed with the sliding doors open and my resident robin was singing so sweetly to me (about 3 metres away), and I suddenly realised that he was asking when was I going to put the feeders out again.

So I went to the local petshop and bought 25Kgs of wild bird food (£9.99, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying it in 3KG bags at £3.20). It didn't take him long to find the feeder. As my shed is all metal I can store the feed without mice, rats and squirrels getting to it.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal