Author Topic: How to secure a greenhouse to the ground?  (Read 5790 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
How to secure a greenhouse to the ground?
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:41:11 »
I hope you don't think I'm being a bit thick here :-[, but I've just inherited an elderly aluminium greenhouse on my new plot, and I'm unsure how to tether it to the ground!. It is erected but unglazed, we have some glass stacked beside it, but the is no base, or brick layer or anything; I don't think the previous owners ever got around to using it. Can someone please advise what is the best way on ensuring it doesn't get blown away in the next strong breeze?!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How to secure a greenhouse to the ground?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:54:50 »
Like that unglazed one up the hill on Plot114!
Both of mine are just put in a shallow trench of Pea gravel.. if it is staying at the back of your plot that is quite sheltered!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:15:06 »
Dig a hole at each corner, about bucket sized. drill a hole through the frame in each corner to match. Shove a piece of steel rod through the hole & bend it over the frame to form a staple, tweak the ends a bit to form a good anchor. Bury the ends of the rod in concrete poured into the holes.
Does that make sense?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 00:28:16 »
Thanks for all of your suggestions, that's really helpful. I now realise I will need to drill through the frame at the bottom however I fix it, that's what was throwing me, I couldn't see any obvious anchor points!

I do want to move it from the back of the plot to one side because although it is quite sheltered its also quite shady and overlooked by trees, and I've plans for that back bit....... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 19:32:23 »
My greenhouse had holes in the bottom rails, I put down a footing (concrete) then built a nine inch wall with concrete blocks. I put a rail of 50mm x 25mm tanalised timber between the aluminium rails and the concrete blocks. I then screwed it down with 2 1/2" - 12 brass screws (the same as are used to screw down toilet pans).

Its been there for over 25 years but the wood is rotting now and I shall have to lift the greenhouse and replace the wood.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal