Author Topic: Ready meals  (Read 4886 times)

keef

• Hectare
Ready meals
« on: October 06, 2006, 20:30:06 »
Just watched the money show, which was about ready meals.

They said that something like only 18% of people make a meal from scratch at least one day a week!! One family (with 3 young kids) said it meant they could all have what they wanted and it was all ready in about 11 minutes, well if you've got 2 or 3 microwaves maybe. Another preferred buying pre-made mash (not smash - proper mashed spuds + loads of other cack to stop it going off) because peeling spuds and boiling them was too much hassle! (well you don't actually HAVE to peel nicely washed shop bought spuds..)

I admit to having a ready meal perhaps once a month (probably less) if I'm in a hurry to go out etc.. (excluding the odd pot-noddle after the pub).

What do you think about ready meals, how often do you eat ready meals?
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ready meals
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 20:59:13 »
Not very. The kids keep buying pizzas and rubbish like that when they have money; occasionally we indulge. Namissa found a halal pizza place, which is a disgraceful encouragement.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 21:14:03 »
We really never do ready meals. Nearest we get is buying "stuffed" pasta. Oh I lie! An occasional pizza for 4 year old granddaughter.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 21:20:37 »
very rarely.  pizza and pies are probably our most ready made but with that will go fresh veg or salad.

people have been conditioned to live the rat race and buy accordingly.

oh and beer, i don't make my own beer.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 21:25:11 »
I don't buy ready meals, other than fresh filled pasta or pizza.  I love cooking!

My microwave only really gets used to defrost things or to make bread and butter pudding ... it's the best, and if you haven't tried it you really should!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 21:27:05 »
got a recipe wellingtons ?  i actually saw a ready made B&B the other day and reminded me that i've not had one since the old king died.

spotted dick and all.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn got the tastebuds going now.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 21:28:32 »
Is that the pudding or the old king? ;)

...i'll get me coat... :o

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 21:28:53 »
Yep ... I'll go find me book and type it up ... will be along shortly! :)

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 21:39:50 »
OK here we go

50g butter
6 large slices of bread, crusts removed
75g dried fruit (I love using those soft apricots!)
grated rind of a lemon
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp light soft brown sugar
425ml milk
few drops of vanilla essence
1 tbsp demerara sugar

Butter a 1.5 litre (2.5 pint) pie dish
Butter the bread, and cut into quarters
Arrange in the dish, layering with fruit and lemon rind
Beat eggs with soft brown sugar
Warm the milk and beat the egg mixture and vanilla essence into the warmed milk
Pour over the bread and cook on a medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes (basically til it's just set).
Sprinkle with demerara sugar and whack under the grill to brown.

Bliss on a desert spoon!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 21:50:01 »
Thanks wellingstons, i shall try it out on Sunday.

I have an important trip to Carlisle tomorrow.

;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 22:03:34 »
Don't want to sound puritanical here, but all my ready meals are from the freezer, and ones I made earlier ;D. Often I [intentionally] make too much of what I'm having now, if it's something suitable, then freeze the leftovers in portions. Other times I'll cook up a load of [say] steak and kidney for the freezer for an almost instant pie. To appease the veggies among you, I have also made vegeburgers, which freeze quite well. That said, I do love mucking about with food, which of course is a prerequisite. And I'm a textures bloke, something you just don't get with ready meals.
 Out of interest, I did some research a few years ago, and found that in most cases it's as quick or quicker to start from scratch if it's a simple meal, but this was to assume that speed, not convenience was the top priority.
To answer your ? keef, not much. I want to have some control over what goes in my mouth.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 22:10:33 »
It is a rareity in this house, i just love cooking and cook fresh every day. I only have to mention stew and i get a house full my children & grandson come for a tuck in.  Ready meals are for peeps who do not care what they eat.

I had better get me hat & coat. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 22:35:35 »
Pizza is about the only thing I buy ready made, and that is for the kids as a treat once a week.  Otherwise, it is all made from scratch.  Like the rest of you, I love to cook, and I have the figure to prove it  ;).  I do the same as you Euronerd and have spag bol sauces, pies and pasties, crumbles, sauces and soups, all in the freezer, all made by my fair hand, and all microwaveable, if you wanted to cook them that way, in probably 11 minutes!!  Don't really like the micro, don't really like my rubbish oven at the moment....rambling...

I saw some of the show - it is a worry that people don't know how to bake a spuds or knock up a simple pasta based meal.  When you think of the quality and taste of home cooked food compared to the rubbish that comes in those shrink wrapped plastic packs, I am amazed that people will eat, and pay for readymeals.  I appreciate people who work full time might not want to come home and cook a meal from scratch, but it is amazing what you can knock up in just 10 minutes!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 23:24:51 »
I only have to mention stew and i get a house full my children & grandson come for a tuck in. 

Did I hear Stew? ? ?  This weekend you say?  I'll be there straight from work!!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 16:27:44 »
 :-X

Two points.

1. It's not ready, you have to nuke/cook it.
2. In my experience it is not often a meal either...maybe I just eat too much!

;)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 17:51:17 »
We haven't had a ready meal for months, and only occasionally had them before that. I do buy filled pasta sometimes, and find that home-made pizza (made by OH  :)) tastes much better than the supermarket ones. (even the posh £5 per pizza M&S ones) Sometimes weaken and buy ready-made desserts though  ::)

Our favourite 'easy' meals from scratch are baked potato with cheese, and pasta with tomato sauce (from onion and a tin of toms).

We do eat out a bit too, or have takeaway, but for the most part that would be freshly prepared.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 19:38:15 »
Almost never. But, recently, I got hooked on M&S Chinese & Thai Takeaways.

Buy 3 get one of them free! And better than any High Street ones. They freeze well, so long as you take the Prawn Toasts out.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 21:09:03 »
i used to have them when i was really poor and use to live with my bf away from home. it's all we could afford. i'm sure in the long run home cooked food is cheaper and better for you. but ready meals work great for people who're on monthly or weekly pay and have no savings at all. a bag or oven chips and chicken nuggets cost very little and take very little time. cheap and cheerful.

i know it's not good for you at all.....but it saves you from going to bed hungry.

i still have them every few days. even though i wish i didn't have to.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 01:27:42 »
:o :o Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodles  ;D ;D
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 01:54:22 »
:o :o Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodles  ;D ;D

You b*s***d i've just got in from the pub and had to make do with a stale ham and mustard sandwich!
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal