Author Topic: Inherited Asparagus  (Read 1299 times)

jclo

• Not So New ...
Inherited Asparagus
« on: October 02, 2006, 15:40:58 »
Hi All

I have just taken on my first plot and I have inherited about 5 asparagus plants. They have been left to grow to fern and are about 3-4ft tall and covered in berries. The stalks seem to vary from 1/4" to 3/4" in thickness.

What should I do with this? I've new to allotments and even newer to asparagus. I don't even know if I like it, never tried it! Should I cut back the fern growth? When should I do this? etc. etc.

Any help greatly receieved, remember I'm a beginner so don't hold back thinking I may know, because I probably won't.

Thanks

Garjan

• Acre
Re: Inherited Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:07:36 »
Hi jclo
If you don't know whether you like asparagus or not, your inherited plants provide a good opportunity to try them. Next spring, that is.

At this moment you just leave the plants as they are. Cut down the fern to ground level when it starts to wither and add a layer of compost so the plants are covered for the winter.
Do not put the ferns in the compost bin. Asparagus can carry pests and diseases that are contagious, so my allotment neighbour tells me.

For next spring: you can either go for white asparagus or for green ones.
For white asparagus you need to cover every tip that shows above ground. Cut them when you think they are about 25 cm. long.
If you don't go to your aloltment everyday, green asparagus are much easier: just let the tips grow. Cut them before the top starts to open, otherwise the asparagus will be woody.

The berries contain the seeds, sow a few in the asparagus bed. If you like the veg, you want to have young plants for the future. And if you discover you don't like asparagus: just pull them out.

Good luck.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:27:01 »
dont full them out i am sure someone on your allotment will want them or you can sell them on ebay or swap on here!

jclo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 16:04:46 »
Thanks for the replies! I totally agree that it is a fantastic opportunity to try something new! I think I will go for Green Asparagus and then maybe next year I'll try half and half and compare them.

I cant wait now! :D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 16:53:29 »
my parents want to donate their asparagus plants (nine crowns) to our allotment - any hints and tips on moving it?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 22:02:49 »
Daisymay - I moved some asparagus last winter, about December I think, before it got really cold - most have survived. Prepare the bed first. When you dig the plants up, take as much soil as you can, and wrap them so that the roots don't dry out.  Get them into the new bed as soon as possible. Plant about 2 ft apart. They don't like a wet, heavy soil - I improved mine and also dug in some sand to lighten the patch.
One thing, I'd put canes in now where the plants are - you might find that you lose track of where they are when the time comes to dig them up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal