Author Topic: JCB Strimmer won't work  (Read 31738 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: JCB Strimmer won't work
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 23:04:39 »
As I said, it's been very good so far, more than happy ;D

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 12:01:58 »

I have one as well Tiller very powerfull it is .

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 17:24:27 »
Cor.  Thanks for all the advice.  I shall experiment in due course.  I managed to get the site manger/co-ordinator/etc to strim the paths for me today - and very grateful I was too! Even OH came down to help me clear the paths fully!

It's got new petrol with the correct amount of 2 stroke oil. The little plastic bulb was full of this new petrol mix.  I will shorted the cord, check the spark plug and see what happens. 

I doubtless flooded it, too, particularly when I followed the manufacturer's instructions for the umpteenth time that stated something akin to "put on full choke and pull cord for 5 or 6 times or until it tries to start, then take it down to half choke and pull cord for 5 or 6 times.  If it does not start, put it back on full choke again and pull for etc...".  Flamin' Nora!

Sadly, there's no way I can get electricity to my plot so a switch to a "proper" strimmer is out of the question.  I shall post back on progress as the bloody thing has got to work soon before everythings grows back again! ;D ;D ;D

ps: my original thread seems to have messed up with the screen formatting - apologies.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 18:24:13 »
As I said, it's been very good so far, more than happy ;D

:'( I must have been unlucky... :'( Twice. :'(

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 19:57:43 »
Or I got lucky, ha there's a first time for everything I s'pose

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 22:12:03 »
As I said earlier, if It's got the JCB logo on it, leave it on the shelf.  JCB = crap.
It will be a VERY expensive exercise buying anything with the JCB logo.

valmarg

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 22:42:32 »

Very harsh on JCB i have a spade and folk from them and they are very good .
 Having worked in the motor trade for a number of years i have heard good
 things about JCB. If you want real crap french cars are the way to go .

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 23:10:47 »
Yes Pete10, I am very harsh on JCB, it is the most obnoxious company on this planet.  When you see a load of blurb, saying that a 'digger' has been 'donated' by JCB, to a charitable organisation.  After the logo, donated by JCB, should be added the word 'suppliers'.  JCB give nothing away, and if they get publicity for having donated machines, you can rest assured that the suppliers have been told ' you want our business then you will donate the parts.  It really is a nuts company.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 13:31:56 »

Not wanting to sound like a stuck record, but repeat, buy a 4 stroke generator and use
your domestic electric tools, top of the range strimmers (electric) are cheap
compared to highly dangerous two stroke petrol varieties that most times refuse to work
and if your not fit can damage your health by pulling your guts out trying to
start the blessed things. ::)

You really believe that Roy? All the electric ones I've used have been pants themselves, comparatively little power and flimsy lines, and a very small cutting radius.

The best one I have used was a 50cc MountField Multi-Trim with 4 lines, powerful enough for anything and with a harness to help with the weight. Nothing lasts forever, however, and nowadays I use a McCulloch 35cc thingy, lighter and good enough for what I need (and not too difficult to start).

The thought of having to do my allotment with either of the 2 B&D electric ones I have fills me with dread, it would be nigh on impossible..............
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 16:28:56 »

I see your point about the company .Did not realise they where like that.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 16:42:44 »
We've no electricity and have been using an 18V battery powered Bosch
with a plastic blade instead of string. Got through several blades before getting the hang of it!

Not good at all for big boy stuff like established brambles,
but fine for keeping our relatively small  (55ft x 25ft) allotment tidy.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 21:17:14 »
Glad to hear you are happy with your cordless one Barnowl as i will be buying one soon and haven't heard anyone speak of them on any forum i visit :(
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 22:41:31 »
I've tried one, the power pack wasn't up to it, and soon faded away. I wouldn't bother again.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 23:34:08 »

You really believe that Roy? All the electric ones I've used have been pants themselves, comparatively little power and flimsy lines, and a very small cutting radius.

The best one I have used was a 50cc MountField Multi-Trim with 4 lines, powerful enough for anything and with a harness to help with the weight. Nothing lasts forever, however, and nowadays I use a McCulloch 35cc thingy, lighter and good enough for what I need (and not too difficult to start).

The thought of having to do my allotment with either of the 2 B&D electric ones I have fills me with dread, it would be nigh on impossible..............

::) Horses for courses, if you want to spend a couple of hundred quid on a petrol strimmer then I would expect it to start a the push of a button, these peeps are talking about lesser known makes at cut prices, yoose get what you pay for. ???

My £40 Domestic  electric Black 'n' Decker has heavy duty cords for heavy work and works a treat for the weeds on my plot in fact I use the normal plastic cord most times and it performs very well off my £50 second hand 4stroke generator that starts first pull.

I will repeat my genny also makes a fine cuppa tea ;D

Try this link it's long but covers the same ground.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,19101.0

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 11:03:20 »
Couple of hundred quid?

Try about £80 from B&Q..... ::)

Oh, and the mountfield cost a tenner!
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 13:27:15 »
I sympathise with your problems trying to start a petrol strimmer. I have bought two this year and taken them both back because I just couldn't get them to start or if I managed to get them started they wouldn't stay started. I had the blisters and the arm ache as well. I think my arms were just not long enough to pull the cord hard enough.
I have now got a Bosch battery powered one which is fine as long as really tough stuff like bramble stems is cut down first. It starts at the touch of the switch and although it only does about 20 minutes on one charge it's probably as much strimming as I want to do at one time. There are also no fumes and no vibration, and very little noise.
I would say the best way would be to use a petrol strimmer to get the very tall tough weeds down and then just keep up with them with a battery powered one.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2006, 21:16:51 »
Insert Quote
Couple of hundred quid?

Try about £80 from B&Q..... Roll Eyes

Oh, and the mountfield cost a tenner!

mine was £50 from Argos, superb stuff ;D

PS. I take it you lot who have had problems starting 2 strokes never tinkered with mopeds or model aeroplane glowplug engines in your teens 8)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2006, 21:23:27 »

PS. I take it you lot who have had problems starting 2 strokes never tinkered with mopeds or model aeroplane glowplug engines in your teens 8)

:P Nope  :P Only Women ;D :o 8)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2006, 21:45:55 »
Nope   Only Women   

;D ;D ;D
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 00:15:52 »
Nope   Only Women 

Aha, this explains alot ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal