Author Topic: Butternut squash - 'cobnut'  (Read 1344 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Butternut squash - 'cobnut'
« on: September 29, 2006, 17:03:56 »
Walking home in the rain this afternoon, popped into the allotment to gather some tomatoes. I could manage just one squash, so lifted one of four ...

This is the first squash I have grown from seed, excluding pumpkins, and I hope it tastes as good as I hear butternuts do ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Butternut squash - 'cobnut'
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 18:24:39 »
Hi Curry, I have grown cobnut this year and they taste great ;). You can also use say half of one and the other part will keep fine  for a couple of weeks, wrapped in clingfilm in the veg section of the fridge.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 14:17:45 »
Thanks for that Larkspur, I don't think partial consumption will be a problem though, since I have a family of 4, with healthy appetites ... boiled and mashed with black pepper and a dash of butter is my favourite way of eating squash so far, although I enjoy them roast too.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 15:59:42 »
We had butternut squash soup for lunch as I have picked four so far. I'm not sure what variety it was as I was given the seeds. I didn't think really there was much taste.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 00:42:55 »
Hi Curry, with only two of us and the Cobnuts weighing about 4lbs each we need to save part of them :). I prefer them roasted in a little virgin olive oil and a good dose of black pepper. It used to be be a good dose of salt too but high blood pressure precludes that :(.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 08:41:32 »
We had butternut squash soup for lunch as I have picked four so far. I'm not sure what variety it was as I was given the seeds. I didn't think really there was much taste.

Some of my squash seem pretty bland this year too, I think I planted them a tad late and they may be unripe. Seed packets sometimes say 'flavour improves with keeping' :-\ If you roast like larkspur before souping, you may get more flavour? ::)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:11:45 »
After my first butternut - boiled, the collective opinion was that they were less tasty than crown prince, although as my wife said, if we had not tasted the crown prince last year, we would have been delighted with the butternut. Perhaps the squash are less tasty this year, or need some time to mature ... I have 3 left, so will update if there is any change in flavour ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal