Author Topic: Advice needed please!  (Read 1972 times)

adeliene

Advice needed please!
« on: September 28, 2006, 16:36:16 »
Hello everyone, I have just joined the forum. Since yesterday I have 10lbs grapes mashing in a fermentation bucket. I was so excited to have picked  so many grapes from my allotment, but now I need a good simply recipe,  I am not sure if I will need yeast, I have heard that grapes make there own yeast, can anyone give me advice please. and perhaps a recipe.
Hope you can help.
from Adeliene

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:03:18 »
Hi adeliene,  :D
                         It`s probably a bit late, but what i would do is, remove as many stalks as possible from the grapes, as these impart bitterness to the wine. 10lbs of grapes is about enough for 2 gallons of wine, so I would look to make no more than this. Dissolve 2lbs (900 grms) of sugar in hot water add this to the grapes, add 2 litres of apple or grape juice then make up to 2 gallons with cold water. If you have a hydrometer strain off some juice & take a reading , hopefully this will be about 1.070 to 1.080. This will give you approximately 12% alcohol . Add i tsp pectolase, 1 tsp nutrient & also a good quality wine yeast ,I would not leave it to ferment naturally, wild yeasts are poor in comparison to a correct wine yeast. Cover & leave somewhere warm , stirring twice a day for 4 days. Strain into 2 demijons, top up with water or grape juive & ferment out to dryness approx 3 weeks. Hope this info is not too late for you.

Adrian.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal