Author Topic: Fumigating greenhouses  (Read 19995 times)

rdm51

• Half Acre
Re: Fumigating greenhouses
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 10:32:34 »
Hi Folks
 I'm the fellow that MrsKP is giving the sulphur candles too, so i feel that i need to explain myself why.
 Being a grower of exhibition fuchsias the strive for perfection is what the aim is. unfortunately to gain perfection chemical aids are required, holes and blemishes on leaves are down pointers in an exhibit, and any signs of pests can get you exhibit disqualified and after spending months taking care of your plants thats the last thing you want.
 Modern society has got us that way, just look at your local supermarkets and veg counters and see how uniform everything is, [the down side is that everything is tastless]
 I'm not trying to defend the use of chemicals, but to compete in todays flowers shows at the higher level, nature does not always have the answer and have to turn to any aid that is available, the days of shown as grown have long gone and unfortunately thats why a lot of local flower shows can no longer survive.
 I hope i have not offended anybody and hope you understand why i use chemicals
Bob

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 21:36:06 »
I hope i have not offended anybody and hope you understand why i use chemicals
Bob

You certainly don't offend me, use as little chemical as possible but sometimes there is no other way. People who will not use chemicals when the occasion requires it are the friends of certain pests, if you found Colorado Beetles would you not spray them?
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2006, 09:43:00 »
I agree that the fight against the chemical/drug giants is a very worthwhile one. The injection that could save eyesight is being pushed by the makers at £1000 a go, while they downplay their own alternative at £79!! Thus the NHS cannot afford to save people’s eyesight.  So we are paying an inclusive-of-treatment fee of £450 a go privately. The White House, yesterday, was ordering us to have the NHS use US drugs.

To continue this rational discussion:

1.   Most of us DO care for life around us. Most particularly about the health of our families. But I would rather use my own discretion in treating the food I grow than buy market produce heavily doctored chemicals.
2.   To do this successfully, having tried Nature’s Own Treatment, I have found it necessary to start the year with a clean greenhouse. The treatment is contained therein & is no threat to the neighbourhood.
3.   Unfortunately, I am not a good enough Christian to ban the killing of all pests – ants in the store cupboard, silver fish in the linen cupboard, flies in the larder, cockroaches in the kitchen (if we had them!), caterpillars on the Brassica (finger & thumb). I take great care in the use of slug bait (under cover) & I do not use yellow ‘Trappits’ which catch more hoverflies than whiteflies. Finger & thumb again on Peppers etc. I do use predators for RSM – difficult to see, let alone squidge -  & let them do Nature’s work.  I would love to leave it all to Ladybirds, but last year we only saw about half a dozen in the whole garden. And that’s not because we spray open crops – our only treatment being Bordeaux on Potatoes, which is a service to our neighbours as well as to ourselves!.
4.   Sulphur? Don’t let the word scare you. It’s very useful on plant wounds against Botrytis - &, in passing, it has wide use in medicine.

Just one person’s view on life.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:46:25 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal