Author Topic: Propagating vines  (Read 1114 times)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
Propagating vines
« on: September 26, 2006, 13:30:14 »
In particular Humulus Lupulus (ie. hops).

There is a nice and quite expansive vine which has recently flowered on the unkempt edge of some allotments I walk past - I shall be collecting some to dry later this week, but there is a strong risk that the council will get around to giving that area a severe haircut such that it may not be there next year.

Hence I was thinking to propagate a couple of plants; apparently this is usually done from cuttings, but I haven't found much about what time of year to do it, or care and feeding for the young plants.

Anyone have any ideas?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Propagating vines
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 17:06:37 »
They will probably make tip cuttings if you can bury a whippy bit for about a month, a snick in the underside at a leaf joint often helps...
 ???

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 17:20:56 »
A friend yanked some young shoots out of the ground near an established plant for me in Spring 2 yrs ago, they grew well last year and this year - machetes chaps, I'm going to the potting shed, I may discover a new species of carnivore on the way.........
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 17:31:43 »
It will root where ever it touches the ground and all you have to do is yank a bit out and bung it in the ground. It is bomb proof. The council will not get rid of it by giving it a haircut. It will just grow back stronger.

One of the ways they date an old hedge is to count the varieties and take note of what is growing in it.  Roman hedges have hops in them. So they will keep going for at least a thousand years just by layering theirselfs.

Try getting hold of some golden hop plants they really brighten up a dark corner.

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:19 »
If you have no luck with the cutting then Blackmoor Nurseries have a dwarf variety FIRST GOLD available. www.blackmoor.co.uk
Jon

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 12:45:34 »
Not sure about hops, but general advice for Grapevines is to take brownwood (as opposed to greenwood) cuttings from this year's growth round about October and keep them potted up in the greenhouse over winter.
Good luck. 8)
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal