Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 1388 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Help Please
« on: October 06, 2006, 19:31:09 »
 We shall be moving in the spring. I have my pride and joy in the garden, my beautifull wrigley tree,   A contorted hazel, i know lots of you have seen it and said how lovely he is. I really cannot bear the thought of leaving him :'( we have had him since a twig, :'( but now he is over 10ft tall and 12ft wide.

I would like to know if any gardener would be kind enough to tell me how to take a cutting and what to grow it in ie: the soil content.  Thank you.Rosebud.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 20:34:14 »
Sadly the Contorted Hazel will not grow from cuttings. It is always grafted on to a straight hazel rootstock. To do it is not that difficult. You would need to go and buy a couple or three hazel shrubs and do that many so as to be sure. Can find a picture method for you if you need it. One thing though, EVERY contorted hazel in the world is the SAME one. So if you bought another it would be exactly the same as you pride and joy.
Gardening is the great leveller.

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 20:57:45 »
Bought a really fantastic book on grafting has every thing you could possibly need to know, The Grafters Handbook by R J Garner. ISNB # 0-304-32172-9. Hope this helps you. Has piccies too always a bonus for me ;D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 22:21:19 »
Yes please Eric that would be a great help.  Thank you.

Thanks Lilacsplash. ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 09:57:35 »
Look at this. Grafting is very easy, it must be I have done it! ;D
http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/dockers/108/graft.htm
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal