Author Topic: Sugar Baby Watermelon  (Read 1896 times)

Staff Sergeant RMP

• Not So New ...
  • BIte my shiny metal ass
Sugar Baby Watermelon
« on: April 09, 2004, 18:01:45 »
Have just seeded up some sugar baby watermelons. Has anybody grown these before? Grateful of all advice on how to grow these.

Cheers.
Shaun 8)

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:Sugar Baby Watermelon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 01:39:03 »
If you scroll (or search) down this section (I think) to a question posted by Ruud on melons I posted a response detailing my method of growing melons. I use exactly the same method for watermelons. The first watermelons I grew were Sugar Baby and, while the variety has changed, the technique hasn't.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 14:47:47 »
Yo Staff - me too!  I figure if I don't get any watermelons then at least there should be some green matter for the compost heap!

I've just put mine in to pregerminate along with some Navajo Sweet.  After reading John's cultivation methods, I think I'll mound up the soil and put a lidless cold frame over it with fleece on the top, to protect the plants until the frosts have passed.  I'll bury next to the plants an upside down 2ltr pop bottle with the bottom cut off for ease of watering - and just wait and see what occurs!   :D
AC  
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Staff Sergeant RMP

• Not So New ...
  • BIte my shiny metal ass
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 20:39:45 »
Thanks john, have printed off your notes.

Thanks AC hopefully I will end up with some nice fruit rather than extra compost. heres hoping will let you know what happens.

Cheers Guys & Gals

Shaun ;) ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 23:35:56 »
  If I were you AC I would keep the plants as warm as possible as long as possible. Keep the frame and the fleece over the plants until flowering. Once you observe some melons have set I would replace the frame and the fleece.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 09:10:09 »
Thanks John - I probably won't plant these out until the middle of June and I'll warm the soil by covering the cold frame with a sheet of plastic for a while before hand.

If we have weather here like last year, they should be fine.  Interesting to see how they'll do in an average UK summer!
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal