Author Topic: Richard Hammond  (Read 6229 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Richard Hammond
« on: September 20, 2006, 22:18:19 »
Just seen the news, just seen he has been involved in a horrendous car accident and is critically ill at Leeds General.  Shocked me this one.  My age, 2 young nippers.  Hang on in there Richard!

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Richard Hammond
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 22:29:08 »
Really feel for him and his family and what they must be going through at the moment.  Same as Emma, Hang on in there Richard!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 22:47:21 »
Yes, I like Richard Hammond too and hope he pulls thro from this horrific accident.  He has such a cheeky smile.   :(

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 22:49:28 »
Was also very shocked tonight to hear the dreadful news.  I am hoping and praying he makes it.  :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 23:05:10 »
That's DREADFUL news! Poor guy and his poor family and colleagues. We're great fans of Top Gear and pray Richard pulls through. He's a Cotswold lad too.......CLx

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 23:44:51 »
Here is hoping the news is good when we wake up tomorrow.  The last i saw said he is still critical but holding his own.  Hang in there Richard God bless.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 23:51:12 »
Aye he's a canny lad.  Come on Richard pull through.

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 06:19:48 »
This morning's report is that he is now stable so let's keep our fingers crossed!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 09:20:10 »
Me too.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 10:04:12 »
So many people willing him to survive. The news does seem a little better this morning. Serious but stable. His family are in every ones thoughts.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 17:59:04 »
Just looked at bbc news front page - serious/significant brain injury, though docs are reasonably optimistic.
So far, £4k has been raised for the local air ambulance by well-wishers. Just checked the justgiving website - over £8k now plus gift-aid.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 18:17:05 »
I'm just in from work & got the radio on..'significant brain injury'? Dear God, doesn't sound good...yes, it's a risk of the job & anyone who saw his interview a few months ago when he talked of the adrenalin rush he got from high speed driving knows that he was doing the job he loved the most, but....what a pig that it happened  :'(

I'm pleased that a spin-off (no pun intended but, well, he'd appreciate it!) are the donations to Air Ambulance....I'm in the flight path to Selly Oak Hospital for the AA & they struggle for funds to support their service, so out of tragedy comes good...sad, v.sad, however...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 20:36:13 »
Yes, What do they mean by significant brain injury, it is chilling isn't it, and conjures up allsorts of awful scenarios. He had a great big bouncy personality, I just hope the news gets better as the time goes on.

It is great that the air ambulance is getting support, they do do a brilliant job. Richard is such a popular personality and everyone I have met today is talking about him and wishing him well!  :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 22:07:05 »
Yes I hope he makes a good recovery. I've just watched the news report and wonder how responsible the BBC were by allowing him to drive that vehicle at those speeds, it doesn't appear that he was qualified or trained for that.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 22:13:34 »
It is still big news!  Just watched the news at 10 headlines and his accident is still number 2!  I reakon the beeb could have a lot of explaining to do.  However, yup, like Steve Irwin, he was doing something he loved big time, he knew the risks, but like you said Lish, what a pig of a thing to happen!  He's alive, that is the main thing....I have no idea what significant brain injury could be....to be honest, I dread to think!

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 22:15:17 »
Top Gear is the only programme that if i miss it puts me in a mood, and i don't even drive. The 3 of them just work for some reason. I usually find a funny side when a celeb has accident (which is wrong) , but when i heard the news last night i went sick. Think things are looking up but the news said he has suffered ' A brain injury'.

Dont think you can really blame the BBC though , they dident force him to do it and he lives for speed and cars.

Hope he pulls through

mrsnesbitt

• Not So New ...
  • people have been telling me I need help!
    • denisebydesigns
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 23:08:37 »
When the news hit home that he was in an airfiels near York I knew it was Elvington!
Richard also wrote for MCN, Motorcycle News, he promoted motorbike travel.

Hubs and I are keen bikers and know the importance of Air Ambulanece, indeed only last year my sister in law was airlifted to hospital, as a result of a car not seeing her&her husband's motorbike.

so I am launching my own little effort, funds to air ambulance, on my blog!

Dxx
Check out the progress as we set out growing our own for the first time!

http://mrsnesbittsplace.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 23:14:02 »
A couple of weekends ago was the big Essex Air Ambulance motorbike run from Basildon to Southend.  It is held every year and they raise shed loads of money for this amazing service.  When I had daughter number one in Maidstone hospital, maternity was by the helipad and I used to see the chopper come and go.  With my darling being a biker, in and out of London daily, the air ambulance is a charity close to our hearts.....I just hope to god we never need it!

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 23:36:57 »
We should be proud of the work of the air ambulance teams everywhere.  I used to work near the Royal London Hospital and used to watch them taking off & landing.

On 7/7 last year, I had to walk to work from Liverpool Street, and it was the sight of the helicopters from Kent, Essex and beyond that made me realise I was in the middle of a major incident, well before I had any news.

Looking at footage of the crash scene, I'm amazed there's been no mention of spinal injuries.  Best wishes to him and his family.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 23:50:00 »
He's doing well.....keep going Hamster, we love you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal