Author Topic: TRANSPLANTING PEONIES  (Read 1992 times)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
TRANSPLANTING PEONIES
« on: April 08, 2004, 19:56:56 »
I am growing Peonies. I know that Peonies resent transplanting and that the dormant season is the best to do this. >:(
But ........
....  will they be okay?  ??? ??? The roots shouldn't be disturbed much in planting but I will have to wrestle them out of the big pots. :-[ :-[

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:TRANSPLANTING PEONIES
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 20:32:54 »
All very true, but what they really do not like is DEEP planting, the new buds should be above or only just below soil level. The buds need frost to ripen so that they flower. My Uncle moved house 6 times in 10 years and took his eopny collection with him, they flowered every year.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 22:38:33 »
OKay then Eric, I managed to get one to grow from seed last year, tis still to small to move into the garden so when I transplant it into a bigger pot over the weekend it should involve as little root disturbance as poss, and keep the crown at the surface of the soil?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 23:38:32 »
Most of the references I have seen regard transplanting as the digging up of a plant from one place in the garden, with the attendant root damage, and planting in another spot. Potting on, or planting from a pot, will not cause anywhere near as much as damage, if any. While it may seem to be pedantry, there are differences.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 00:10:36 »
Soooper, thanks John.  ;D

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 11:17:37 »
Thanks everybody for the prompt reply.
I will start to prepare a nice area this weekend. :D