Author Topic: House-trained lettuce  (Read 1503 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
House-trained lettuce
« on: April 08, 2004, 23:44:31 »
I fancy the idea of cut and come again lettuce grown in the house, but reading the other lettuce thread makes me think that their windowsill is perhaps too warm.

I have a tiny cold frame and I reckon I could keep a tray of modules in it. My plan is to sow lettuce in a line of the modules every week until they are all full and keep them in the cold frame.

Will they have enough compost to sustain them, if I try to put only one seed in each module? (i.e. I never plant them out, I just eat them!) Is it the "done thing" to feed lettuce?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:House-trained lettuce
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 00:05:52 »
I grew cut and come again types in seed trays last year and they were okay.  Probably didn't perform anywhere near as well as plants in the open, but provided up with plenty of leaves during the summer. I did half a tray, then once it was through, sowed the next half, then when it was through, did another half a tray and so on.   I didn't feed 'em  :o, but I am a bit of a slacker like that.  I can't see why it wouldn't work.  ;D

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:House-trained lettuce
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 00:06:45 »
Depends how large the modules are. If I were you I would go for it- only by experimenting will you find out. Retail growers around here sow salad greens in trays of organic potting soil, cut them once or twice and then dump the soil and start again. By using organic soil no additional feeding is needed but using something like seaweed will possibly extend the soils usefulness.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal