Author Topic: Outdoor tomato "Roma"  (Read 1755 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
Outdoor tomato "Roma"
« on: April 08, 2004, 17:26:58 »
I am growing some outdoor bush tomatoes for the first time. They are now a good 8 inches high (I know, I planted them twirly!) but unlike my Tigerellas, they are flopping down rather than standing up straight. They aren't wilting and their stems still seem strong and ok.

Is this just them starting to do the "bush" thing? Should I be worried?

I'm planning to pot them on again this weekend and then transfer them to my cold frame, this will give them a bit more support but I just want reassurance from somebody who has grown outdoor bush varieties please!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Re:Outdoor tomato "Roma"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 17:43:49 »
I grew Roma last year with excellent results (growing again this year) mine looked as if they were wilting but were perfectly ok, I think its just the way they are. :)
After harvesting mine last year, the suplus I just threw in the freezer...they're not much good for salads etc because they go soggy when they defrost, but they are beautiful grilled, fried, or cooked in a saucepan...and they make the sweetest tomato sauce!

Chaz

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 18:13:23 »
Hi tenuse,about your roma`s,they are heavely cropping,so you have to supportthem all the way.I do it from the first stage ,till the last stage using bigger and bigger sticks to support them.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 18:58:14 »
bush toms can look like that -and some varieties go from ugly duckling to Swan-`Amish Paste` springs to mind-and twirly?-that did cross my mind ;)

Stephan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 18:59:15 by cleo »

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 23:38:26 »
I'm so glad! I will put some sticks in to support them when I repot them this weekend. Thank you for putting my mind at rest!

Now, I just have to dig their bed..... eek

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal