Author Topic: Goldfish in the water butts  (Read 9559 times)

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
Goldfish in the water butts
« on: September 19, 2006, 16:00:06 »
Bob Flowerdew says you can! I'm worried that they'll die: anyone any experience?

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Goldfish in the water butts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 16:17:27 »
they'll be ok given enough food water and oxygen

BTW are you in Buxton?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 16:27:38 »
They might survive,but what an existence! Surely there must be a kinder and better way of keeping a few goldfish so that you can see them and they can enjoy a swim round some plants and see the open sky,for goodness sake!!

And what happens when the water supply dries up cos you need it for the garden? Fish have feelings too!! :'(
Margaret

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 16:46:36 »
We do live in Buxton, which is why our water butt won't run dry! I thought it was kinder (real flies and bugs, loads of room) than a tiny tank. I'm not getting them for the butt: these are three that need rehoming.

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 18:26:26 »
Having redone our pond this year, can say that they are fine in water butt for a few days but, in the meantime, I would make a small pond to put them in long term.  Something like half a lined wooden barrel or baby bath, etc.  Since there are only three goldfish they don't need a great deal of space but they do benefit from a couple of plants to encourage the algae that they feed on as well as any proprietory food you give them.  Also, it encourages a better balance and they do need a little shade/something to lurk under!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.   :)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 19:51:58 »
They might survive,but what an existence! Surely there must be a kinder and better way of keeping a few goldfish so that you can see them and they can enjoy a swim round some plants and see the open sky,for goodness sake!!

And what happens when the water supply dries up cos you need it for the garden? Fish have feelings too!! :'(
I agree with Margaret.I have been tempted myself especially when I see all the gnat larvae.I won't even put a couple in my half barrel as I feel it doesn't give them a very good life.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 21:27:31 »
We do live in Buxton,

And so do I, are you on the Cote Heath  ;D or Fairfield allotments :'(

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 22:18:38 »
Hi Buxton.I am sorry,i thought you were planning to get the fish and put them in there long term.Good on you for rescuing them,i have done the same for quite a few of mine over the years.People think all they need is any old body of water and they will be ok.

If your water butt is large,uncovered so they get plenty of daylight,and you can put lots of oxygenating weed and a small pump in there when it is hot,then they willl be ok short term,as Muddy says.But it is unfair on them for any long term plan and definitely not over the winter.

Either a lined or prefab pond,or even a second hand good size tank indoors will be fine.Indoors you get the pleasure of them all year round.It is a bit late in the year to start digging a pond now,and getting them acclimatised to an outdoor life.I would go down the tank route and plan a nice pond for next spring.I started off with just a few fish in a tank and now have 2 ponds and well over 100 fish.So beware!!
Margaret

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 22:38:53 »
Cote Heath!

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 22:45:02 »

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 23:02:26 »
I went to a pub near woodcote (reading) once that has gold fish in the toilet cistern.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 19:13:16 »
Don't know our number either but we're on the Dale Road side!

buxton diggers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 10:39:12 »
The goldfish are now released: into the pond! And swimming about like happy little fatties. Does this mean that, next year when I get my ducks, I have to make another pond (and keep them away from this one) to stop the ducks eating the fish?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 18:41:07 »
If you have a water but near the back door, to keep a couple of fish to eat the mosquits and eggs so they did not come in the house and eat you. This I heard years ago.
Then you could always put I think vedge oil on the top of the water to stop the bitters from getting on the water to lay eggs works the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal