Author Topic: Bottling haricots/runners/toms  (Read 1511 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Bottling haricots/runners/toms
« on: September 14, 2006, 16:25:26 »
Hi,

Well I'm still getting lots of these and the freezers are packed and I feel I've enough passata to bathe in so I was wondering about bottling in other ways.

Anyone bottled haricots/ runner beans?
Then with toms I've two recipes - one dry packed with sugar/salt/lemon juice the other in brine.

And then how do you use them afterwards? Haricots/Runners I guess are just boiled/steamed as usual but what about the toms?

Thanks

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Bottling haricots/runners/toms
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 23:36:09 »
I wanted to try haricots next year and make my own baked beans...

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: Bottling haricots/runners/toms
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 21:46:32 »
Ksia, when you mention  beans, do you mean the whole thing or just the seed? I have in the past salted runners in a bid to preserve the texture, which is destroyed by freezing. It didn't work, and they tasted awful into the bargain. I've also pickled them, but I guess that's not what you're after. Brining would work in theory but I've never tried that. If you mean just the seeds, why not dry them? Less space, no storage problems and a shelf life of longer than you'll ever need. Can't help you on the tomato front I'm afraid.

cambourne7, home made baked beans - out of this world.  ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal