Author Topic: NOTHING PLANTED YET  (Read 2947 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
NOTHING PLANTED YET
« on: April 08, 2004, 05:13:11 »
HELP!!!

Due to a combination of rain, snow, thaw, rain & vast amounts of weeds I've not managed to plant anything in my allotment yet.  Am I too late to plant veggies to crop this year?

If the weather holds up here in Leicestershire I'm hoping to spend the Easter weekend on the lottie.

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to plant would be gratefully received by this first time lottie owner.

ps. would like to grow sweetcorn, peas, caulis, cabbage, spuds.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:NOTHING PLANTED YET
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 09:08:53 »
Answer in one word NO you are not too late to plant.The soil where i live has been far too cold and wet to plant .Anything that i have put out has been under glass so don't worry .See what Easter weather brings.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 09:12:01 »
No worries, Anaxi!

I sowed all sorts of brassicas in a bed yesterday, and plnated my onion sets.  At the weekend I'll do a few more, the potatoes (except the early Red Duke of York - they've been in a week or two).

Suggestions?  Just about anything - except garlic :)!  I only sowed parnsips, leeks and broad beans about 10 days ago, and have to resow the leeks after a visit by our fox.

For brassicas, you might be able to shortcut and buy plants for transplanting at a local garden centre (hmmm - vine weevil, club-root, and weedy droopy little plants; you might have a better source near you though)

Good luck, Anaxi

PS I'm in Leeds

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 09:23:25 »
you can't do sweetcorn outside at the mo anyway - far too cold. start it indoors - i put mine in some toilet rolls yesterday.
gone to pot :D

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 09:59:39 »
ooooo thanks for reminding me - I need to start my sweetcorn off this week

-B_B-

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 10:06:03 »
We got our allotment a year ago last Sunday, and have had quite a lot of produce from it.

Parsnips (yum), carrots, onions (lots), cabbage, cauli, broccoli, lettuce, radish (millions), peas (not many - quite disappointing), courgettes, herbs (various and easy to grow) and gooseberries (made into wine).

Will have more in this year - had more time to plan.

Don't Panic! you've got plenty of time left for most things to grow. Have fun!!!

:-* Tricia

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 12:02:07 »
If you read the packets, most things can be sown right up in to early summer, and as our summers seem to go on later now, I can't see there being any problems with sowing over the next few weeks.  

I guess so long as your spuds are nicely chitted they can go in right up into mid to late april.

My sweetcorn have only just broken the surface of their pots, so I sowed a second batch.  This is my failure crop so I am doing everything in my power to try and make them good.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 14:20:32 »
Hi Anaxa

You could go to a couple of forum members websites and you will find a calendar of events to look at.

The sites are at;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

or

http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/default.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 14:21:10 by The gardener »

The Gardener

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:22:30 »
Thanks for the tip about www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk.   it's a website i hadn't come across before.

anaxi

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 06:55:19 »
- tongue in cheek, of course? = Tim

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 19:18:23 »
no, serious. I didn't know the website existed. I'd never come across it during my surfing

anaxi

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 20:52:47 »
Yahoo!!!!

I finally got something in my lottie this weekend (with a little help from font of all knowledge, aka "dad").

cauli's, broccoli & leeks went into beds.   carrots & onion set planted direct.   it would have been easier if the ground had been better but seen as i'm full of thistles & couchgrass trying to clean up the soil has been a nightmare.   i wanted to be organic but have had to bite the bullet & dose the whole lottie with round up.   with luck i'll never need to do it again 'cos my local builder merchants sells black membrane so it's going on the fallow patch.

spuds, more carrots & more onions go in tomorrow, hopefully peas & parsnips later this week.

touch wood i get a harvest.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 22:55:14 »
Look at the roundup as giving you a bit of breathing space this year to work towards going organic?

And you're ahead of me on some things - so no panic! :) :)

Good luck - Gavin

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 23:01:08 »
Bearing in mind where you live, you could do worse than do an ISO stephan on The Shed.  He grows for local buyers and knows the conditions round that area.  Worth a try  :D
Muddy Boots

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 09:07:46 »
We really ought to have a locked heading here, for all new 'owners'.

As Cpl Jones always said - DON'T PANIC - it's never too late for some things. But frequently too soon!= Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal