Author Topic: Red Tom  (Read 1337 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Red Tom
« on: September 13, 2006, 23:09:21 »
;D Your probes wondering why I am so excited ;D Oh well praps not, :P but it's my first big red tomato, I have had lots of cherry toms and my garden and lottie has lots of the bigger ones but they are green :'( I'm not sure what it is but I have sown this year Alisa Craig, Alicante, Shirley F1 and Gardeners Delight, so it is one of those. ;D

P.S. Edited to say... Oops! forgot to add the photo, :-[ it's there now I fink ::) :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 23:33:35 by Roy Bham UK »

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
Re: Red Tom
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 23:28:56 »
 it doesn't matter what type it is...................it's big..............and it's red.................AND YOU GREW IT!! well done.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:09:56 »
...and pretty perfect!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:35:10 »
it doesn't matter what type it is...................it's big..............and it's red.................AND YOU GREW IT!! well done.

hear hear roy, tis a beaut :)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 18:05:20 »
Looks just like mine , I took a photo too as it was so perfect.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 18:35:17 »
Lovely, Ower Kid. Just the one, tho? And did your wife enjoy it ;D

I'm a bit surprised that you've not had outdoor toms ripening before now, tho - we don't live too far apart & I've been harvesting outdoor red!red!red! harbinger & ferline & tigerella & day-glo yellow golden sunrise.  My beef toms were in the 'house but neighbours have been growing theirs outside and, like me, have been picking for 3-4weeks or so now. Just wondering why yours are so late?

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 19:14:08 »
Lovely!  I've grown Alicante and Marmande outside this year and been very please although the Marmande do tend to crack!  Weirdest thing was, only had room for about a dozen plants in grow bags and just chucked the rest of the seedlings on a piece of prepared ground that had nothing in it.  Far too close together but the rogue tomatoes have gone bananas!  Growing like crazy but so far behind and not in quite such a sunny spot but will be making oodles of green tomato chutney this year!   ::) ;D ;D ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 20:10:33 »
I had some stray seedlings come up behind the frames and in front of the sunflowers, self sets but they are now ripening nicely...
 8)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 21:42:59 »
My beef toms were in the 'house but neighbours have been growing theirs outside and, like me, have been picking for 3-4weeks or so now. Just wondering why yours are so late?

I have been late with almost everything this year Lish :'(

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 21:57:32 »
Will you be bringing the toms in to ripen off now, Roy? They've been getting a bit of a bashing recently with the wind.....and the rain today?  :o All mine are now snug between newspapers in trays. Check them twice a day - always some ripening ones to take out. Incredible how quickly they colour up once they start.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 22:10:12 »
::) I always thought it was sun that ripened them Lish ??? how does the newspaper thingy work ???

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 22:29:12 »
Just wrap them in page 3 to keep warm.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 22:31:22 »
Get some boxes from the s/market or trays (my SUCCESS! never managed to get those black buckets but got LOADS of those trays that greengrocers use for free from a skip)..anyway, line them with newspaper...place the toms upside-down in them, single layer, cover with paper....shove under bed! Yep, you can build up the layers, but a bit of a faff to check the layers (as you'll have to). Works a treat - thank G*d! I HATE green tomato chutney!!

btw...chris ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 23:10:57 »
Ay up Chris ;)

Read an old GW mag the other day about a woman who hangs her plants upside down in her shed before they have a chance to get blighted.  She is still picking red ones in January and has never had to make tomato chutney.  She, like me, hates the stuff.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 23:25:00 »
Now that would be worth trying, Clang...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal