Author Topic: Doh!  (Read 2428 times)

pbjohnson

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Doh!
« on: April 07, 2004, 14:16:10 »
Hi all,
Due to an unforseen labelling fiasco (all of my own 'in a rush to get my seeds in' fault). I'm not sure whether I've got tomatoes or aubergines on my kitchen windowsill!  Some (labelled) are tomatoes but the unlabelled seelings could be either toms or aubs ... my heart tells me they're aubs but they've come up with leaves identical to tomatoes.  My questions, in this rather convoluted way, is; are the first real leaves of aubergines the same as tomatoes?  

On another matter ... I'd like to tell you my fabulous story of allotmenteer's equivalent of striking gold!  I'v'e battled since November with my own enthusiasm and my new allotment to rid it of couch grass ... forking it, hands and knees to remove roots etc.  I had just one 4 metre by 4 metre square remaining.  I decided to make a start before work this morning at 6am.  There was a small bit of carpet poking up out of the thatch of luscious couch grass which I gave a tug ... and another tug ... and as the carpet  began to peel away from the surface the couch came with it (roots and all) ... the tugging continued until the whole area (4metre X 4 metres) was entirely clear and not a weeds root in sight..  Basically - the area i was expecting to take me about 10 visits to clear of couch was the most clear area of my whole lottie.  Result!

Just had to share that – no-one at works seems as delighted as i am that I've saved myself so much time and have an entirely weed free area.

Cheers, Paul

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re:Doh!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 14:44:53 »
Commence Homer Mode:

Woo-Hoo!!  ;D

(Cease Homer mode)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 16:05:54 »
That's the beauty of a site like this - everyone else is as daft about "growing things" as yourself!!  Really pleased for you.

Sorry don't know about the leaf question - only gre aubergines once and can't remember.

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 16:11:55 »
Paul , what joy ;D ;Dwhere you turning cartwheels all the way to work???  What dedication going down at 6am to the allotment.  Are there any other early risers out there or are you all snug under the duvets (like me when Im not in work)  :D :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 16:30:13 »
I seem to remember aub leaves are different, more oval and furry.  Not 'cut' like tom leaves.

And all I can say is, you lucky bug*er.  Wish some of that pot of gold you found would find it's way to my allotment as I still have plenty of couch grass to clear!  

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 17:48:31 »
Hi paul-full marks for dedication :)-and as those seedlings grow the difference between an aubergine and a tomato will become obvious.

Stephan.  

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 10:28:59 »
<life of Brian mode on>

You lucky, lucky, b*****d

</life of Brian mode off>

how about posting a pic so that the experts (not me) can advise ?

-B_B-

pbjohnson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:25:09 »
Pic to follow when I get home from work and if I stumble across the technical expertise!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal