Author Topic: I've just bought a Greenhouse  (Read 2312 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
I've just bought a Greenhouse
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:19:28 »
For £5 on ebay :o

Couldn't believe my eyes; and 8x6 with only 1 cracked pane - so I pressed 'Buy it now' pretty darn quick.

Hopefully I can go and dismantle next weekend.  Any hints and tips?  I know to take photos and to label up each section.

Tee hee - really excited ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: I've just bought a Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 12:06:26 »
If its the standard Eden Aluminium type they are fairly straight forward. if you have to strip it right down, can't get a pet white van man to bring the sections different coloured tape for each section spars is helpful...
 ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 18:19:18 »
just do a search for "new greenhouse".  there's a couple of threads with some good tips. 

and lucky old you ......... we NEVER have g/h for sale up here.   :'( :'(

good luck and don't forget the pics !  you might want to read Deeds novel before you build ...... or perhaps save it til after !  lol

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 21:00:16 »
Excellent !!!!!       ;D

Your gonna have great fun.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 17:32:22 »
what a bargain eh! Lucky you
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 20:20:53 »
Woo hoo! Clever you!
I got mine from ebuygumbay, and would recommend:
Taking time to make good foundations
Having a patient and willing team visit to put it up
Get the frame up first, secured to the foundations, then on a windless day complete the glazing

If you leave it half-glazed, and not secured to the foundations, it will walk away in the next breeze :-[

You won't regret it SMP, looking forward to the photos 8)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 21:57:19 »
You can read all sorts of advice on which way a greenhouse should stand, north/south or east/west my advice would be to make sure the door is away from the prevailling wind.You may need to have the door open on warm days and you do not want the wind going straight in, also the door is the weakest part in the event of very strong gale force winds. I do know about this last point having tried to recover one of my greenhouses from the nearby wood after the gales in 86. :'( :'(
PS Not many greenhouses when bought have enough ventilators it is well worth while fitting automatic vents so you have no worries when going out for a day.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 16:58:41 »
Thanks for the advice everyone

Went to Basingstoke this morning - took along No 1 son as labourer :o

Took 4 hours to dismantle - straightforward as you all said.  I used a permanent marker and coloured electrical tape and took some photos and made some notes.

The g/h has an auto opening window and a set of louvres and the man threw in the potting table too - so a brillian bargain - he just wanted the space in the garden,

Guy that I bought it from was really helpful and had a whole garageful of spanners and sockets, which came in very handy.

Can't assemble it until late October but will definately post some piccies when it is in place.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:52:19 »
Wow that is really great !!

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 21:08:41 »
I can top that - I heard of a builder that was developing a site and wanted a greenhouse removed. I had to remove it on a weekend but it came for FREE!!

Had the greenhose since last Spring and it has completely changed how I garden - I can get earlier crops and bring on seedlings weeks earlier. I previously used two cold frames but a 'house is much better - and you can go in and have a cup of tea in Winter.

Downside on our plot is that yesterday all the glass was smashed - but I shall probably replace with some sort of plastic.

Enjoy - they're great!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal