Author Topic: Strawberries - what now?  (Read 1375 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Strawberries - what now?
« on: September 08, 2006, 02:29:26 »
My strawberries are branching out everywhere... am I supposed to prune them back hard at all at this time of the year? First year with them.

Also, I would have liked to have saved some runners but couldn't do the traditional method of cuttings in a pot while still attached to the main plant because the strawberries are growing through ground cover (nowhere to sink the pots, without they'll just blow with the wind). Anyone else using ground cover managed to do this?

Thanks.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Strawberries - what now?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:15:12 »
I took runners off last year without rooting into pots. The little plantlets all have roots on them anyway - I just chose the biggest, cut them off and put into a new bed. They all took and fruited this year.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 08:08:13 »
My strawberries are branching out everywhere... am I supposed to prune them back hard at all at this time of the year? First year with them.

Also, I would have liked to have saved some runners but couldn't do the traditional method of cuttings in a pot while still attached to the main plant because the strawberries are growing through ground cover (nowhere to sink the pots, without they'll just blow with the wind).

Thanks.

Will they really blow in the wind a pot full of soil is quite heavy. If you have plenty of long runners you could put pots together packed in tight in a tray to stop them blowing about. Dont worry if you squash a mature plant they'll bounce back. You could also use bigger pots and put stones in the bottom for stability.

Any runners not being potted up should be prunned back

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 13:58:38 »
Thanks for the replies, I especially like the hassle-free method periwinkle!

Is it not too late to pot on runners? I was asking for next year!

*Edit* Also, how severe should I prune? Just the runners or cut the foliage right back? Thanks.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 16:19:57 »
Hi Common,
I tend to leave my strawberries alone, really -  no pruning at all. They should crop pretty well for the first couple of years being left alone. Runners can be potted on as per periwinkle.
This year it's squash.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 17:07:50 »
Composed this while site was down - will post it anyway!

As you are growing through ground cover I think you should take off all the runners. I've read that some people prefer to let them be in the middle of a bed to produce a sort of mat of plants, but it would seem yours have nowhere to go........(bet one or two have managed to put roots through in the odd place or perhaps you use better ground cover than me I always seem to end up with torn bits.)  I don't think it is too late to take the cuttings after all nature is doing its bit and trying to multiply, and what have you got to lose?
As for the older plants, don't trim them too much in the first year, just remove any dead stuff, old leaves and tidy up a bit. Year 2 onwards give them a number 4 haircut after fruiting. - i.e. about 4 inches above the crown taking care not to damage it.
Noticed today that some of mine are about to flower again  -  ::) suppose I should remove them?  :-\ - the flowers that is.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 23:28:07 »
If I want more strawberry plants, I usually only allow 2 runners to develop per plant, and snip off the rest as they come. I don't grow on ground covering membrane so don't have your problem with where to root normally, but if pots are used, I agree with glow777 about the way to secure pots. Really, the runners should be rooted by now and going into their new places soon - I think they have a much better chance of survival and establish themselves far better if planted into open ground once fine white roots have formed and you also don't have the problem of protecting pots in winter. As for cutting back foliage, if its fresh and green don't bother with doing it to such young plants, as has been said by periwinkle just remove the old stuff, but next year take the shears to them after fruiting and also give them a feed at this time, then new leaves produced will be hardened up before the frosts come.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:18 »
Thank you again for such thorough info, really appreciate it. They are new plants really so I'll leave most of the leaves but I'll cut the runners for now and maybe try for them next year.

Just one other thing ( ::)) when you say I should feed them at this time, jennym, what is best for strawberries? I think I have some blood fish and bone left, will this do?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal