Author Topic: the chicken & the egg -  (Read 1696 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
the chicken & the egg -
« on: April 06, 2004, 17:41:37 »
A friend hatched some organic Cotswold Legbar eggs from the s/mkt & has given us some CL eggs from the hens. Lovely colours.

Surely it's not normal to be able to hatch out a shop egg? Or is it that free range birds are more able to get up to mischief?? = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:the chicken & the egg -
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 17:51:38 »
oooooo when I was little I always used to hope that when I cracked an egg there would be a little chick there cheeping away to greet me, but I would also worry about boiled eggs and cooking a baby  :-[.  I was a strange child!  Now I am all tempted to buy half a dozen organic eggs from the farm shop on Thursday...  ssshhh...don't tell Ava   ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 10:03:37 »
ooh - I'd love to have a couple of hens. Think the neighbours might object, though!

I'm the opposite of you Emma - I'm always scared that I'll find a chick in the egg, but dead.  :'(
gone to pot :D

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 17:22:48 »
One of the River Cottage programmes had Hugh Fearnley W. hatching out some chicks, he kept all the eggs in a cold place until he had enough to put under broody hens, the "eggspert" (sorry!) helping him said he had made up numbers from shop-bought eggs before.

Obviously there has to have been a cockerel involved somewhere along the line...!

Ten x

Oh dear lord silly nanny spell checker, ok then a Magnificent Male Chicken.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 17:23:32 by Tenuse »
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 17:50:32 »
hehehe, love it Ten.  Cor, tis really tempting to get some from the farm shop and see if we could hatch them, thing is, what would we do with them if they hatched!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal