Author Topic: Conservatory make over  (Read 1833 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Conservatory make over
« on: September 04, 2006, 22:28:13 »
I have been cracking the whip at Chez Emma Jane.  I have wanted for a long time a long planter for my growing plant collection.  Pots take up so much room, take ages to water, and can look a  bit haphazard, so my darling is construction, at the moment, one long planter along one of the straight walls in the rectangle section of our conservatory.  Ours is a long one that wraps around the entire back of the house - a large hexigon and a long rectangle.  Opposite this side, there is a smaller section of wall which is going to have a wider planter, with a small pond possibly for tender aquatic plants.  On another section, I may, if I haven't pushed my luck, have another planter for all of my cacti as they really need a free draining planter - if I plant them with my narnar, they will quickly rot from overwatering.  This is the start of the build.  I shall take more photos as it progresses.  ;D

(...bl**dy cactus in my ear!)

(...strong framework to support soil and plants)

(...where did I put my hammer?)

(...front going on)

(...bamboo cladding....sexy!!)

I am SO excited!  He is such a clever old stick.  :-*

baggieboy

• Half Acre
Re: Conservatory make over
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 15:32:27 »
that bamboo clading looks good......nice idea

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 15:58:02 »
oh wow! that look really nice. and yea i agree it'll tidy things up a lot more....but.....

what about that mains hole in the wall inside the planter? and are you going to put a bottom into and a back wall to protect that floor and the brick wall?

i mean it looks lovely and i'm sure you've thought of everything.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 16:05:41 »
Well Wahaj.....the sockets have now been moved, waterproofed and holes sealed.  The sockets are now outside of the planter.  The planter will be lined with pond liner and then a good thick layer of course gravel will be put in the bottom.  We are going to make a drainage hole using a piece of hose through the planter at the very bottom and out through the conservatory door.  This will all be sealed so excess water will only come through the hose, not all over the floor!!  It means if we are going away, we could stick a plug in the end of the hose to keep the planter moist for longer.

Tonight the liner, gravel and drainage holes go in.  ;D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 16:11:27 »
aww bless ya! you've really put thought into this haven't you. sounds like a great plan though and i hope it all works out. can't wait to see what it all looks like :)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 21:23:31 »
Looks great! We have pondered over a conservatory for ages, lot of work though. What with 2 green houses and 2000 gallon pond and poss conservatory, well, we may as well just glass over the whole garden!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 18:51:48 »
Lovely to see 'the chap' enjoying himself!!

We're just going to re-floor our 'end room'. Oh, dear!!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 23:04:07 »
That looks brilliant EJ, what a handy Ava you have! I too love the bamboo effect, it looks very classy!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

ava_banana

• Acre
  • EmmaJane's handyman
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:03:55 »
Soooo, at 22:30 last night what were we doing...............?

Still going backwards and forwards up the garden to the compost heap.........in the dark.......EJ with a torch and a spade, me with the wheelbarrow.

I am sure EJ will be along with some more pics......... ::) ;D ;D ;D
....we are all visitors to this earth........enjoy your stay.....:)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal