Author Topic: Pricking out  (Read 5630 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Pricking out
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 22:31:59 »
I swear by modules - great space saver and no root disturbance.  I pick 'em up dirt cheap in Asda at the start of the year, they only do them for a couple of weeks.  Also, I use square pots as much as poss, you can fit lots more into a limited space than you can with round ones.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2004, 22:59:39 »
I have two counter arguaments to direct sowing in pots/modules.

Firstly the space - a small pot or tray of seed usualy takes up less space than a modile tray or a load of pots - and you get less wastage if some of the seed fail to germinate (Yes i know you can multisow then thin). Second many seed lings actulay benefit in some ways from the pr*cking out process. I have always been taught to replant the seedlings to the depth of the seed leaves (thus burying the stem) which makes the plant stronger (roots develop from the buried stem in many cases; eg tomatoes) and i have a theory that they are less suceptable to damping off since there is less stem for the diseases to affect (damping off generaly develops on the surface of the compost - someone will no doubt contradict me here).

On a seperate note I too have difficulty throwing seedlings away and often have too many plants for my needs (just incase any of the gents out there thought this was just a female issue).  I still have quite a few seed sown perennials left from last year that I am considering selling off at the local car boot sales.  Selling off unwanted stock is a good way to make sure your plants go to good homes and raise some cash for new seed/plants/equipment ;D.  My only problem is I am not a good seller, and of course it is difficult parting with plants you have lovingly raised by your own hand!  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2004, 23:04:42 »
aha.....I thought, from earlier postings, that plants were more likely to get damping off if planted toooo deeply, and there are only a few plants that grow roots from their stems, not all do.  Anyhow, I hate pricking out, much prefer to grow in modules, and am determined next year to only grow that way, then, once one tray is full, I can stop, rather than end up with trays and trays and trays of the same thing, (my primroses being a prime example, have planted out one tray full, have given away one tray full, and binned one tray full, and still have 2 to go!!!)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2004, 08:21:35 »
My understanding of the need to do the pricking-out process is because of overcrowding. If a lot of seeds are sown in a seed tray then the seedlings will be competing for light, water and nutrients. So the pricking-out process has to be done to give the seedlings the necessary space. If you grow in modules then this is not an issue. Also it avoids any possible damage to the roots. I agree with Emma about the modules. It does make you think more about the number of plants you require and in the long wrong creates less wastage.

Cheers for now

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2004, 12:29:19 »
It seems to me that pricking out is a hold over from the days before plastic. Plastic has allowed the use of many small 'pots' (modules), all connected together, for initial propagation, so avoiding the drawbacks of pricking out. Once the plant needs more space it is then 'potted on' or planted, without causing any root damage. Plants that benefit from deep planting can still be buried as required but their roots remain intact. The smallest modules I have seen are '512's in a 25x50 cm tray. If space is a problem how much more needs to be saved- these modules are so small that a dahlia seed has to be sown corner to corner to ensure good soil contact!
Could someone post a picture of a 'module'? I am talking about them based on a possibly false assumption that they are what I call 'cells'.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2004, 13:26:24 »
Any help?  Plastic trays divided into any number of cells/modules - piccie on the HDRA site

All best, Gavin

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2004, 14:01:40 »
Thanks, Gavin.
Another benefit of modules is that damping off is less likely to occur (improved air circulation) but, should it occur, the affected modules(s) can simply be cleaned out without affecting any nearby plants.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2004, 18:28:00 »
Perhaps after Johns very informative explanation (thanks to John) I should at least TRY modular sowing and see if it works as you say. As i said my main concern is wasted space/compost should seeds fail to germinate, but this can be got around of course by multi-sowing the seedthen thinning.  I also hadnt considered what happens with plants like tomatoes that need to be planted deep - of course they may be planted into larger trays or pots deeper than in the previous one (I am actualy thinking of doing this with ones already growing inpots that are getting a bit leggy).

Part of my problem though with modular growing is the current lack of different size cells in the trays i have. They are either very small (recycled mini plug trays) or very large ones (like square pots joined together) and only a few medium sized trays.  I am though thinking of rectifying this soon by buying in some different sized cell trays.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 18:28:37 by RichardF »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 19:19:35 »
As soon as the seedlings in the modules are big enough, I plant them in plastic cups. What I like about the modules is that I can put a lot of planted seeds on a heating pad to germinate, like with peppers, tomatoes, melons etc. I wouldn't be able to fit as many pots on it. As soon as one batch of seedlings are potted up, the next heat loving seeds go into the module and onto the heating pad.

I used a heating pad for the first time this year and it works great! In the past I've had to wait for things like hot peppers for so long that I doubted anything would germinate and often wanted to start over while there was still time. No longer this long wait, the seedlings just shoot out of the seeds, wonderful!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 23:09:26 »
i have not done any pricking out at all this year- hooray hooray as i squash and maul great numbers to death - i am a total convert to Jiffies. Modules, that is, trays with lots of spaces are the worst as removing the plants from the titchy space is even worse than pricking out. You can get loads of Jiffy 7 from Kays - i got 1000 38mm ones for 37 squids - mind you, i have had an absolute orgy of sowing as it is so easy-peasy. No damping off either.
cheers, suzy

oh, one disadvantage - i sowed my lettuces in the ground at the proper spacing - but when they are still tiny in a Jiffy, they look so sad and lonely in the soil with so much space around them - even a bit pathetic (and fragile).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2004, 23:18:36 »
Are jiffy's those peat pots Campanula??

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2004, 23:37:49 »
not really EJ - theylook like little flat lids - about 4mm thick and 38mm across. You soak them in water and they expand to form tube shapes, about 60mm tall. They also have a fine mesh around them to hold the shape. You can buy them at garden centres in lotsof 40but they are expensive, around 15p each but if you get them from Kays (amost amazing co.), you get 1000 for £38 - 3.8p each. They are really reliable so I only sow two seeds in each and keep the best and they can wait till the seedlings are a good size and put straight in the ground. I find that the peat pots always go mouldy whereas Jiffies don't. You have to watch for drying out but Ikeep a lots of stuffin bags and water the Jiffies from the bottom (I sit about 8 to a pot saucer) Have a go!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2004, 23:42:31 »
aha, I know exactly what you mean.  And they really work huh, never tried them myself, but am tempted now!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2004, 23:51:51 »
yep, they are brilliant but honestly, i sow something every time i nip to the kitchen - no rooting about for pots or carting bags of John Innes around.  mostly, I am better at sowing the right number of seeds - I used to use a whole seed tray and sow loads of seeds which I would have no room for. It is real easy to just soak 8 or so. Very addictive though.
Do have a go.
cheers, Suzy

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 18:05:33 »
NA Kays certainly seem a great company. I keep meaning to put an order in. I just wish you didnt have to buy in QUITE such large quantities or have to spend so much at a time  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal