Author Topic: lawn  (Read 1651 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
lawn
« on: March 28, 2004, 14:31:11 »
We moved to this house aprox. 8 years ago. First thing was a greenhouse then tidy garden, lots of baskets and planters but now the lawn this year. There are several big-ish dips/ holes all with grass, what I require is information on how to level the lawn, any ideas greatly appreciated.
                        Jock-Edin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:lawn
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 22:13:37 »
hmmm....big dips huh.  I seem to remember Alan Titchmarsh (if that says thingymarsh you know who I mean don't you  :-\) cutting like an X right through the middle of the dipp, gently slicing back the turf and peeling it back to reveal the soil beneath, forking the exposed dip gently, then adding some more topsoil to bring the dip up level, firming it well, otherwise it will only sink down a bit again, then relaying the turf , firm and water well and regularly.  Does that seem about right anyone?  If it was only a small divit, then I believe that you can rake in a mix of sharp sand and topsoil or compost and the grass with grow up through and level itself...if you kinda understand what I mean.  Hope this is of some help.  :D

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 22:35:35 »
Before doing anything jock, just check that the dips/holes are not in any sort of line along the lawn, as that might suggest a collapsed or leaking drain.  Assuming that they are not then Mr. Thingummymarsh`s treatment is correct as long as the dips are not more than a couple of feet or so across, but anything much larger than this and you would would be better to cut the turf all around the edges of the dip and remove the turf completely while you level up.  As very few people can slice turf evenly with a spade it would be as well also if you levelled the turves before replacing them by placing them face down in a wooden box (e.g. tomato box) and levelling them all off with a straight-edge

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 09:59:28 »
thanks for info on raising lawn, sorry taken so long to thank you, but all of a sudden alloty required lots to be done. Up here we only get the one chance to get crops moving, so with the weather dry at least had to get on with it. Next weekend for lawn, take it can be done most time of the growing season.
                     Thanks again
                                    Jock-Edin

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 18:41:59 »
I had a bit of a panic re: Hugh's advice about the dips in a line, as I have a dipped line from the house to halfway up my lawn.  Hysterically demanded NGOH look at this and dig way down to see if it was a drain - esp as our lawn is so boggy.  NGOH calmly (in the circumstances) raised his eyes, took me outside, showed me the service cover and the line the pipes follow across the lawn, then kindly pointed out the dipped line was made by me walking across soggy land to the rotary washing line!  Have now moved rotary washing line so it is reached from new path!  

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal