Author Topic: Now the official owner of my own lottie!!  (Read 2721 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Now the official owner of my own lottie!!
« on: September 23, 2006, 21:28:09 »
I just had to brag - I went and officially got handover of my plot this morning.  I am over the moon but I am sure after the sixth day digging and pulling weeds... and pulling weeds. .... and more weeds.... the enthusiasm will be dwindling... the blisters will be popping and the back will be aching..... ;D

But I am thrilled - I even got a red currant bush and black currant bush, (any ideas on when I prune them!!  I will have to go and look in my books and see what they say...  some strawberries (that look pretty miserable) but I might be able to get a runner or two off it.  There is also an old apple tree and they lottie lady seems to think that it is a greengage tree.  Will have to wait and see what spring brings.

I will go down tomorrow after church and pace out the beds - get a general feel for the place.  There are so many weeds as the site has not been worked for over a year and there is no lottie history with it - so will have to start up my own rotation.

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Now the official owner of my own lottie!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 21:43:49 »
Good for you Jitterbug :) Its hard work,but great fun , lots of fresh air and exercise,but take it steady, those weeds will always be around :)/shades x
grow your own way

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 22:34:40 »
That's terrific news JB  :D ... know what you mean about the achy back  ;)

And oh SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to have a greengage.  ;)

Will need details and photos  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 23:28:53 »
Congratulations Jitterbug . May you spend many weeks/months/years enjoying your plot. Don't forget the all important photos.... before and after..  Like angle has said take it easy.
Lorna

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 23:41:11 »
half hour today and hour tomorrow, it all adds up and no aches...little but often thats the key.  :) But you don't have to go home then, get one of those fold up chairs and a flask/cooler ;D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 17:45:12 »
congratulations on your new plot, remember to sit facing all your hard work when you stop for a rest and keep your back to the worst bits. enjoy.x

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 12:57:54 »
fantasic news! You'll enjoy every moment, I'm sure. So will the backs of your thighs! ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 23:27:09 »
Thanks for all your kinds words and advice.  I managed to get a couple of hours down at the lottie (ooh that felt nice) and filled 6 bags with weeds.  But darn I forgot to take the camera with. 

Now have a lovely clear patch where the compost bins are going to be put tomorrow.  Compliments of the DH and some pallets.  ;D  Not too many aches in the lower regions but funny enough when I tried to staple something today my hands were stiff !!  Go figure!!

Whilst I was cleaning up the weeds I came across a rhubarb plant looking quite sad.  It is smack bang in the place that one of the compost heaps will be going.  Can I lift it and replant it.  It is a thick very unpromising stump with only a few leaves... any ideas from the fundis? ???

Jitterbug

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 22:36:57 »
From experience you can definatley move the rhubarb and as its not a newly planted crown you can harvest it next year!!
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 00:09:32 »
If it is quite thick with only a few leaves it was probably ready for splitting anyway.... half a dozen crowns!!!!
 ;D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 18:59:49 »
oooooooooh, the excitement of a new plot and discovering jewels amongst the undergrowth !

Good luck

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 16:58:31 »
oooooooooh, the excitement of a new plot and discovering jewels amongst the undergrowth !

I remember those days <smiley, contented sigh, rippling screen>

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 22:00:05 »
and in the words of Diana Ross ......."I'm still waiting "

congrats Jitterbug.  I envy your aching back.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal