Author Topic: People without a greenhouse  (Read 2126 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
People without a greenhouse
« on: September 01, 2006, 21:55:19 »
What do you all do with the tender plants over winter?

i've got passionflowers....some tender seedlings....a canna plant and tubers....etc etc.

i've basically got an out building that's attached to the house....it's all sealed but doesn't have central heating. i don't think frosts hit it but it's very dark and can get pretty cold. bit like a cellar.

or can i put it in a room with central heating?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: People without a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:02:25 »
If your passion flower is the blue common one it will over winter outside if the weather doesn't get too bad.
 :-\

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:45:41 »
yea hopefully it should. but it's not the in ground and my garden isn't very sheltered so i'm thinking just to be on the safe side.

i've also for the purple passionflower and seedlings of passiflora edulis. and those aren't hardy i believe.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 14:57:11 »
When I lived at home with mum, I used to move all the tender plants to the house wall, then wrap pots in lots of layers of newspaper or card, tied with string - this was before the days of fleece that I was aware of - and then heap straw or wripped newspaper over the tops of the pots.  Often it is the root ball that freezes and kills the plant.  I would however use old net curtains to make a tent like structure around those that I was very worried about and use straw where possible.  It wasn't pretty, but I never lost a plant and I have cacti, palms, passionflowers and alsorts out there.  I don't think our winters are as cold as they used to be, but it is the wetness and wind that seem to do the damage.  The wind plays merry hell with my bananas in the garden, wripping the leaves to shreds.  They get gently wrapped up with a thick mulch of straw around the base.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 15:26:03 »
i see what you mean. okey dokey i'll try that. i guess the wall should give them a bit of shelter aswell.

speaking of wind! we've got terrible wind today. i went out to the shops and took me ages to walk back and i had dirt and leaves flown into my face the whole while.

i'm having to shut the curtains so i don't have to look at the garden. i panic when i see stuff blowing around.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 20:59:57 »
The other trick is to get a mini greenhouse (well pegged down in this weather!) and put your plants in that with a paraffin heater in the bottom. Even on low, they can keep tender plants frost-free. If you don't want to use a heater, surround the plants with old 2l fizzy drinks bottles filled almost to the top with water. It needs to give off latent heat to freeze, which helps keep stuff warmer.

(Keeping a butt of water in a greenhouse also does this and cuts back on winter heating bills!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 22:00:25 »
Tell me about that wind Wahaj.... it has blown the top out of one of my old Damson trees... that and the weight of fruit it was carrying!
 :o

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 09:12:52 »
christ! i found my waterbutt rolling around in the lawn :(

and moonbells. yea i do have a mini sort of greenhouse...but it's on three tiers. even if i take the shelving out i could only really fit 3-4 post in there.

but good idea non the less.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal